Switching to peds?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pediatrician87

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Come on, it is a holiday weekend, don't get upset about no responses to a post within 24 hours.

With regard to your question, it appears that you are just started your internship. You also have posted in the last few days about switching to psych. My recommendation is to wait a few months and see what you actually want to do and how FM might really work out before starting on the path to apply to any new residency. Yes, it is possible to change residencies, lots of folks do it. You won't get credit for your first year, you'll have to do all three pedi years. I'm not an expert on the issue of whether you can move all three years of federal funding over if you switch after a year, but regardless, it will not be a deal breaker if you are an applicant that programs want. It would be best to focus NOW on being an outstanding FM intern so that you can get great letters should you decide, once you decide, to change to whatever you decide.

Members don't see this ad :)
So, what, you applied to peds and child psych and soaped into a FM residency? Or did something else lead to this change of heart?

You're an MD/PhD, you didn't manage to match into peds and you had to SOAP into FM? Yeah, something's weird and unless it was something immediately fixable it'll probably be the same problem a year later. Unless you applied to like 3 peds programs last time or something.

I'm assuming the reason you want to do peds is to do some sort of fellowship since you could just finish FM and have a practice made up of mostly kids.