Switching to pre-med senior year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pineapplenarwhal

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I am in need of advice. I am a senior at a small LAC and I've been thinking about changing back to pre-med. I was pre-med my first year but decided early on that it wasn't for me (e.g., I was an anxious first-year and feared failure so I tried my best to avoid it by taking humanities class which I was good at.). Over time, I opened myself more to STEM classes, taking comp sci, neuroscience, and advanced psych (I know, non-science course ...) lab classes. I decided to drop my bio major and do a literature/psych double major. I am interested in healthcare and did clinical psych research with R1 unis like NYU with the idea of getting a PhD in clinical psychology and doing research and practice therapy. Although it was a good experience, after a couple of months of doing it, I am not sure I would like to do research for the rest of my life, making a low salary and producing content that will probably get shelved somewhere. If I were to produce content, I'd rather have it be useful/beneficial to others than have it just sit there in a journal somewhere. I volunteered at a drug rehab clinic and liked it and honestly, had a lot of fun learning and performing CPR (if that means anything). I realized, after therapy and talking to my cousins who are either pre-med or in the medical field right now that I should at least try again before I make a decision (e.g., take another bio course and try out chemistry because who knows, what if I turned out to like it). Next semester is my last semester, and as a low-income student, I really can't afford to do a post-bacc since those programs cost too much. My idea was to finish school here and then go home to TX and do all my pre-reqs at a CC and University of Houston, prepare for MCAT, take it, then apply. Then I did more research and saw that having a committee letter would be better than LoRs but my school is saying I would have to finish half the science pre-reqs here at the college. I only have 1/9 completed and I would have to take gen chem, orgo I, and cellular neurobiology next semester while doing my thesis and another health psych course (racking up 20 credit hours) to get the 4/9 courses completed. My last resort was to transfer back to TX and get all the courses, retake major classes if I have to, and go from there. The transfer deadline for the University of Houston is today and I had already filled out the app and everything in case I wanted to have that option available. My sister also told me a good alternative for me is to finish school here and go home, do prereqs for nursing school and go from there. I've been having a lot of panic attacks and have been depressed these past few days trying to figure out everything and I honestly wish I wasn't so scared my first year and just bit the bullet and tried all the pre-med stuff out. Any advice?

BTW: if academic credentials would be helpful, I have a 3.87 cGPA, and psych GPA is 3.829. I have 1 clinical psych publication from working with NYU if that gives me any little boost?

Members don't see this ad.

I did more research and saw that having a committee letter would be better than LoRs but my school is saying I would have to finish half the science pre-reqs here at the college. I would have to take gen chem, orgo I, and cellular neurobiology next semester while doing my thesis and another health psych course (racking up 20 credit hours) to get the 4/9 courses completed.
No committee letter is worth tanking your Sgpa (and trend) by taking all these classes in a compressed time frame.

Reactions: 1 users
I don't know if our posters in the clinical psychology forum will concur with your description of your future as just pumping out papers for journals. Check with them.

I also think you should not rush. If you are claiming to be unable to pay for a postbac, I don't know how you intend to pay for an application that is sub-optimal.

Are you originally from Texas? You may check all of your options there. I would focus on graduating this year, then shadowing.

Reactions: 1 user