Hi, I am currently a senior in college. I will be graduating next april and was previously pre-med but have recently been contemplating pharmacy school. I was wondering since I only have one more semester to fulfill all the pre-pharm reqs if it was really necessary to do them all. I go to Michigan and would need to take all these classes that i dont think I can fit in one semester (anatomy, medical microbiology, and maybe some chem classes) to go along with a few other classes I need to graduate. These are just for Michigan's pharmacy school, so I would have to take additional classes to apply to other schools. Can anyone enlighten me?
I looked at 2 dozen pharmacy schools when I was applying and I never said medical microbiology listed as a pre-requisite. Sure, microbiology, and maybe even molecular and cell biology... but "medical" micro? Sounds like you should explore other pharmacy schools! And I have a hard time believing your pre-med education didn't cover the full scope of P-R's for MOST schools. What schools have you looked at? Be specific.
That all said, if you're
serious about this, then I would suggest that you explore going Super Senior and delaying graduation one year. You're already in a 4 year school and if you graduate, you'll be stuck doing one of a few things:
1. Going to a CC. In SOME parts of the country, that's as good as shooting yourself in the foot when it comes to pharmacy school.
2. Taking Open University courses. Yikes, expensive and definitely difficult to get into the upper div. ones.
3. Enrolling in a post-bacc. Expensive and wholly unnecessary for someone who needs what amounts to a semester and a half of coursework.
If another year is totally unrealistic, your only options seem to include looking at a broader scope of schools and going to the CC route to finish your stuff up (But I've also never seen a CC with "Medical Micro" either).
Pre-requisites are
required, which one would think is explicit in their name. Don't tell me your pre-medical education didn't include an English class or two?