Switching to Psych

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

knightdoc1990

Reaction score
Hey guys,

First time post here and was hoping to get some advice. A little background about me, I'm currently a PGY1 resident in EM. As a medical student I thought EM was great, the schedule, procedures, etc. However four months in and I am positive that I chose the wrong field, I don't want to get into the particulars because there is so many in EM. My question is how feasible is a switch into Psychiatry and what are your thoughts coming from EM? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you all.

Members don't see this ad.

You will want to try and land a PGY-II position. Psychiatry requires 4 months of medicine only one of which can be ER medicine so I hope you did wards or clinic or something that would count. It also needs two months of neurology so if you have any elective or selective time, try and do neuro. Thanks for drinking our kool aid, you are going to be forever grateful you made this decision. There was a thread about changing into psych. An ER doctor summed up his reasoning with two words; "butt pus". Good luck.

Reactions: 1 users
Are you applying this cycle along with the ms4s? I was able to switch and had my 4months of medicine transferred over. If you are applying, ask your current EM pd for a letter of rec, even if you’ve submitted everything just bring that with you on the interviews. That goes far.

Reactions: 1 user