Switching Tracks Once Accepted

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Blakeb_212

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
If you're accepted to a certain track program, are you able to switch once admitted into medical school? Some of the programs are focused on a specific specialty. Of course, I'm willing to give it a try and hopefully all works out. However, if I'm not happy going into that field of medicine after giving things a serious try, would I have the opportunity to switch tracks while in school, or will admittance typically be for only that particular program and I can consider myself stuck for good?

Members don't see this ad.

If you're accepted to a certain track program, are you able to switch once admitted into medical school? Some of the programs are focused on a specific specialty. Of course, I'm willing to give it a try and hopefully all works out. However, if I'm not happy going into that field of medicine after giving things a serious try, would I have the opportunity to switch tracks while in school, or will admittance typically be for only that particular program and I can consider myself stuck for good?

What tracks are you referring to?

Reactions: 1 user
What tracks are you referring to?
Some schools are primary care focused, or rural medicine focused. On applications, it may ask if you're interested in such a program. For example, I think Texas Tech has a 3-year primary care program. So, for instance, if one is accepted into this program are they stuck in this program or can they opt out and do the 4-year program at the school in a different specialty?

Members don't see this ad :)
Some schools are primary care focused, or rural medicine focused. On applications, it may ask if you're interested in such a program.

Those generally aren't "tracks," the questions just reflect the overall mission of the school. If you attend one of those schools you will go through the standard 4-year curriculum and then match into a field of your choice.

Blackeb_212 said:
For example, I think Texas Tech has a 3-year primary care program. So, for instance, if one is accepted into this program are they stuck in this program or can they opt out and do the 4-year program at the school in a different specialty?

The Family Medicine Accelerated Track (FMAT) is distinct. Per the Texas Tech website:

Q IF I CHANGE MY MIND ABOUT A CAREER IN FAMILY MEDICINE, OR IF I DECIDE THAT I DO NOT WANT TO ACCELERATE MY MEDICAL TRAINING, CAN I OPT-OUT OF THE PROGRAM?

A Yes, you may opt out of the FMAT program during your MS2 or MS3 year and return to the regular 4-year curriculum. If you do not choose to complete the program, the scholarship that you received during your MS2 year will revert to a loan and will be subject to repayment.

Reactions: 3 users
Those generally aren't "tracks," the questions just reflect the overall mission of the school. If you attend one of those schools you will go through the standard 4-year curriculum and then match into a field of your choice.

The Family Medicine Accelerated Track (FMAT) is distinct. Per the Texas Tech website:

Q IF I CHANGE MY MIND ABOUT A CAREER IN FAMILY MEDICINE, OR IF I DECIDE THAT I DO NOT WANT TO ACCELERATE MY MEDICAL TRAINING, CAN I OPT-OUT OF THE PROGRAM?

A Yes, you may opt out of the FMAT program during your MS2 or MS3 year and return to the regular 4-year curriculum. If you do not choose to complete the program, the scholarship that you received during your MS2 year will revert to a loan and will be subject to repayment.

Thanks! That answers my question.