Syracuse/Upstate anyone?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

superso

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone else going to Upstate? I can't figure out what the housing options are. I was also thinking about taking biochem and anatomy during the summer. whaddya think?

Members don't see this ad.

I may be. Hey I see you're from Brooklyn. I'm from South N.Y. also. I kind of wanted to stay here but so far Syracuse and Drexel are the only schools that have shown interest in me. May as well go for state tuition. I even got rejected from Downstate.... :(
Syracuse seems really nice though, I'm sure I'll be happy there. Are you ready for the SNOW?

superso said:
Anyone else going to Upstate? I can't figure out what the housing options are. I was also thinking about taking biochem and anatomy during the summer. whaddya think?

Congrats Superso, I'm heading to Upstate myself. I'll try and answer any questions about the 'Cuse you have. The housing options are either on or off campus (really insightful, I know). The on-campus housing is Clark Tower, which is about a 2 minute walk to University hospital and about a 4-5 minute walk to Weiskotten Hall, where all the classes are held. Don't really no anyone who lived there so can't really speak to it that much, seems like basic dorm life. There are tons of off-campus housing options because of Upstate and SU being in such close proximity to each other. There are two large apartment complexes, Harrison and Madison Towers, where many students and residents live. They are on the opposite side of I-81 and it's a 5-7 minute walk to the Hospital but it is much more expensive than some of the other places, but they are really nice apartments. Basically the closer to SU and the closer to downtown you are, the higher the rent. Where I live is about a 15 minute walk from Weiskotten Hall and my rent is about $150-200 less than a friend who lives in Harrison Towers. Here's a website that might help www.orangehousing.com As for the summer anatomy course, I've heard good and bad things about it. I guess it's about your preference for you "last free summer". Some people I know took it and liked it, others said don't bother. Hope this helps and feel free to ask any other questions

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey I know I'm not the OP but THANKS! - this was really helpful!-L.

DrKram20 said:
Congrats Superso, I'm heading to Upstate myself. I'll try and answer any questions about the 'Cuse you have. The housing options are either on or off campus (really insightful, I know). The on-campus housing is Clark Tower, which is about a 2 minute walk to University hospital and about a 4-5 minute walk to Weiskotten Hall, where all the classes are held. Don't really no anyone who lived there so can't really speak to it that much, seems like basic dorm life. There are tons of off-campus housing options because of Upstate and SU being in such close proximity to each other. There are two large apartment complexes, Harrison and Madison Towers, where many students and residents live. They are on the opposite side of I-81 and it's a 5-7 minute walk to the Hospital but it is much more expensive than some of the other places, but they are really nice apartments. Basically the closer to SU and the closer to downtown you are, the higher the rent. Where I live is about a 15 minute walk from Weiskotten Hall and my rent is about $150-200 less than a friend who lives in Harrison Towers. Here's a website that might help www.orangehousing.com As for the summer anatomy course, I've heard good and bad things about it. I guess it's about your preference for you "last free summer". Some people I know took it and liked it, others said don't bother. Hope this helps and feel free to ask any other questions

You're welcome, just trying to help. And check out the thread pertaining to the proposed hike in SUNY tuition if you don't agree to work in an underserved area, sounds like SUNY trying to screw us yet again.

DrKram20 said:

yeah man, that was helpful. I think ill go with clark tower since it seems to be closest and other students will be there also. And Lori, i'm not ready for the snow actually, i don't know what to do! I figure since ill 'save' a ton of money here anyhow, I can splurge on a real all wheel drive car but i'm not sure which. I know i need abs, traction control, all wheel drive, snow tires...what car fits that description? I really don't want to get an suv though. any ideas?

superso said:
yeah man, that was helpful. I think ill go with clark tower since it seems to be closest and other students will be there also. And Lori, i'm not ready for the snow actually, i don't know what to do! I figure since ill 'save' a ton of money here anyhow, I can splurge on a real all wheel drive car but i'm not sure which. I know i need abs, traction control, all wheel drive, snow tires...what car fits that description? I really don't want to get an suv though. any ideas?

Subaru! The official car of Syracuse, NY.

stinkycheese said:
Subaru! The official car of Syracuse, NY.

Are you serious?? Everyone I ask is suggesting Subaru also. It's just that i never really ever thought about the company until people started mentioning it. Around what mileage do they go bad? Are they american or japanese made? thanks for any info