System downtime sucks donkey balls

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bravotwozero

Chronically ambitious
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
There, I said it. 4 hours of being in the Stone Age waiting for results to be faxed and people forgot how to use the fax machine.

Members don't see this ad.

• Care
Reactions: 1 users
People love using it as an excuse to not work, actual conversation I had during downtime a few months back:
Me calling lab during downtime at 0200: “why haven’t you run the swabs the nurse sent at midnight?”
Lab: “we’re on downtime!”
Me: “downtime started at 0100. And your systems don’t go down during cerner downtime, you just have to push print instead of whatever you do to make it cross over…”
“Fine, we will get them started” *facepalm*

Btw, I had to call at 0400 AGAIN as they still hadn’t run them. I think my fury came through the phone as they were miraculously done 30 minutes later.

I also don’t know why the system has to go down like that, infuriating when they try to upgrade and break something so it takes much longer to get back up and then im trying to chart right before shift change. Hate it.

As much as I hate the EMR I hate not having the EMR more.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
::Laughs in extended downtime::

The hospital chain I'm out of has had no internet for about a week now. The EMR can be accessed if you bring your own internet, but getting to it from the hospital's computers and network is hit and miss. One hospital is basically back up completely, while the other one is still on complete paper charts with lab results being faxed or taken by runner to the units.

The hosptial where they've somewhat fixed the network (not all computers up and no wi-fi... but at least the Ethernet connected computers work) also doesn't have their PA system and spectra-links working, so all communication is by 2 way radio.

Pro-tip... calling on a radio is "hey you, it's me" not "it's me, hey you."