System vs organ based approach

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xMD

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey everyone!
thought it would be nice to start a thread about your experiences regarding a system based approach or an organ based approach for step 1. I know there are two system based approach available, kaplan and step up, any thoughts and advice will be indispensible thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

you could make your own with the materials you have. I realized that systems might work better for men when i would do a system for each system we attacked in path. everything seemed to overlap and reinforce. for example HY gross has clinical correlations with treatment and everything. it might take a bit more planning if you don't have an organ based progrma laid out for you but i think that it is a more integrated and effective approach.

i was taught organ based for two years so my studying is going to be that way. it does take a little bit more organizing, as most books are subject based. e.g. high yields, brs, etc. what i'm doing is going over some of the less system friendly subjects like biochemistry in the first week, then doing anatomy/embryo/phys/path/pharm in systems. otherwise i would shoot myself before i got through either anatomy or embryo.

one thing you do need to keep in mind if you do an organ based approach is to make sure you cover general stuff like general physiology (cells, etc), general pathology (immuno, basic immune response, etc)... just those kinds of general things that don't fit into organ systems.

hope that helps.

automaton said:
i was taught organ based for two years so my studying is going to be that way. it does take a little bit more organizing, as most books are subject based. e.g. high yields, brs, etc. what i'm doing is going over some of the less system friendly subjects like biochemistry in the first week, then doing anatomy/embryo/phys/path/pharm in systems. otherwise i would shoot myself before i got through either anatomy or embryo.

one thing you do need to keep in mind if you do an organ based approach is to make sure you cover general stuff like general physiology (cells, etc), general pathology (immuno, basic immune response, etc)... just those kinds of general things that don't fit into organ systems.

hope that helps.

wow, thanks for the info guys! yeah, I believe making your own system based is better as far as reinforcement and thought process, good luck!