Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

System vs subject based

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by ssiding, Dec 21, 2008.

1. ssiding

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    What do you all think are the pros and cons of system and subject based medical schools?

2. koopa_troopa

koopa_troopa Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Im at a subject based school. What I do not like is that there tends to be a lot of overlap between subjects. I find this especially true in histology where they try to describe structure with tidbits of function. Yet we obviously talk a lot about function in physiology (and to some extent in biochemistry for cellular function). So the subject based method seems a little inefficient.

I'm not sure how system based schools test their students (is it 1 single test?), but we have a test for each subject. If systems based is just one test, I think that would be a benefit. I hate having 4 exams per week. I would rather have most of the week to study for 1 big all day test. I think this would also better prepare people for the boards.

3. ssiding

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    koopa, does being tested on similar subject information from different angles helps you learn better, or is it just ineffective.

4. nogolfinsnow

7+ Year Member

Attending Physician

I'm systems based, which I really like. First year we had 1-2 tests per unit, about every 3-4 weeks (fewer than 15 tests for the whole year). 2nd year every unit except one is 1 test, each unit is 2-4 weeks, so we'll probably end up around 15 tests this time as well. I don't mind taking tests, but maybe that's b/c I only take 1-2 a month.

5. turkeyjerky

Physician 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    We're subject-based 1st year, but we don't have test weeks (or at least didn't 1st semester). Believe me, that sucks big-time

6. themudphud

2+ Year Member

MD/PhD Student
    Yeah--systems based is much better in my opinion.

7. koopa_troopa

koopa_troopa Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    My opinion is that the function isn't really taught a different angle. No matter what, the histologist and physiologist are going to talk about skeletal muscle contractions the same way. The histologist would probably show a real slide of the muscle bands/zones while a physiologist would use a drawing. But really its just the same. So it sometimes gets repetitive. I guess it depends how efficient the school designs the curriculum.