Systems based approach vs. Old School approach

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jbienven

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Which would you prefer? What is the predominant teaching approach used around the country? Do you think that there are clear advantages to either? disadvantages?

The main reason I'm asking is because I'm choosing between my two state schools that use different teaching methods.

Here's a quote from LSU-Shreveport's Admissions website:
Our school’s previous 2x2 curriculum, departmentally formulated and controlled, with its lecture-dominated format is now a fully integrated, systems-based one which incorporates significant amounts of self-directed study. The content of years one and two was determined by physicians, retaining only those aspects of the preclinical years that are essential to medical education. Added were more clinically oriented examples, especially in small group sessions. Lecture hours have been reduced drastically, allowing the student to learn in his/her own best way.

Years 1 and 2. Five full integrated core and basic knowledge courses occur in the first four months. Eleven system-based courses in the second half of year one and throughout year two follow. All are run by multi-departmental, multi-disciplinary teams of both clinical and basic science faculty. Each course combines the system-based knowledge for the particular system, (cardiovascular, pulmonary, neuroscience, etc.) and include introductory medicine course material, physical diagnosis skills, standardized patient and clinical patient exposures, plus the usual traditional knowledge based materials (anatomy, pathology, pharmacology, physiology, etc.). Most weeks have a thematic focus, which is triggered at the onset of the unit, and anchored at the end of the week, by clinical cases. Small groups, independent learning, computers/technology-assisted learning and problem solving are stressed.

Years 3 and 4. The traditional newly integrated medicine-pediatrics-family medicine component involves both in- and out-patient experiences. A series of team-taught, core content, multi-disciplinary, acute and chronic illnesses are included. Departments have cooperatively developed core content, team teaching, small group discussions to include problem-solving components and optimized assessment strategies. The acute disorders include asthma and otitis (pediatrics and family medicine) and diabetes mellitus and hypertension (family medicine and medicine). Once the concepts are taught and utilized in this course, students follow patients and have recurrent exposure to these concepts in the Comprehensive Care longitudinal clinic to assure competence and retention of material, with preceptor assessments of their knowledge at patient visits.

Instead of departmental-based courses in year four, there are selective offerings that assure multidisciplinary experiences for all students: 1) an acting internship; 2) outpatient care (including common themes such as office experience, financial related issues, etc.; 3) a community-based experience and; 4) a teaching-education experience in which the students have structured requirements for teaching and assessment of first and second year students, and thereby prepare themselves for their expected house staff experiences.

http://www.admissions.lsuhsc.edu/curriculum.html

and here's one from LSU-New Orleans:

Its too long, here's the website...but its your standard approach (from what I gather)

http://www.medschool.lsuhsc.edu/student_affairs/curriculum.asp

What do you guys / girls think?

Members don't see this ad.

I have no experience with either, so my comments are completely uneducated, but I've always thought that the systems approach made the most sense for increasing retention, understanding, and correlation of related facts. Just my two cents.

On a side note, the first time I glanced by the title of this post, I thought it said "Symptom based approach vs. Old school approach". I was just a little bit confused about what physicians based their clinical approach on in the past if not symptoms :)

I prefer systems-based, but primarily for personal reasons. I've had plenty of basic science courses already, and all of them were "old school" (Physiology distinct from Anatom, etc.). So I'm ready for a change.

I think systems-based is better at teaching the interconnectedness of things, but traditional is better at teaching the specific details of any given field. You'll better understand the relations of genes to proteins to organs to drug interactions etc. in systems based, but will better understand the specific regulation of a single gene compared to others in a traditional setting.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think both methods are fine as long as the information gets acrossed. However, changing from a regular curriculum to a systems-based curriculum is a pretty rocky road, and for the first 5 years or so I would imagine it would be difficult. A prof that teaches anatomy said told me that getting all the faculty that normally teach in their courses in their own style to integrate would be really challenging. Who covers what info? At what time do they cover it? These are obviously basic questions, but somehow academic administration has a hard time addressing them and the result isn't pretty.

So if I were you I'd try to talk to some students from the 2nd and 3rd year classes at the school that has recently went to a systems-based approach. I think that it has alot of potential and would be a cool way to learn if it's done right.

okay I'll chime in. I just finished my M2 year at michigan, which switched over to a complete systems-based approach just a few years ago. My class is the second to go through it. I have to say that it wasn't a very rocky road for us at all, but I know that the year before us (the guinea pigs) had a fair amount of hassle associated with the change. It was mostly administrative stuff, like wacky schedules and stuff, that went wrong. They learned the material just fine. My personal opinion is that systems-based is the superior method. The editors of First Aid apparantly agree now as well, since the most recent edition for Step 1 has switched over to a systems approach for the first time.

chandelantern said:
I think both methods are fine as long as the information gets acrossed. However, changing from a regular curriculum to a systems-based curriculum is a pretty rocky road, and for the first 5 years or so I would imagine it would be difficult. A prof that teaches anatomy said told me that getting all the faculty that normally teach in their courses in their own style to integrate would be really challenging. Who covers what info? At what time do they cover it? These are obviously basic questions, but somehow academic administration has a hard time addressing them and the result isn't pretty.

So if I were you I'd try to talk to some students from the 2nd and 3rd year classes at the school that has recently went to a systems-based approach. I think that it has alot of potential and would be a cool way to learn if it's done right.

Well I know Shreveport switched over probably 5 or 6 years ago. So maybe I'm in the clear.

chandelantern said:

Well I know Shreveport switched over probably 5 or 6 years ago. So maybe I'm in the clear.

my brain is generally fried right now...i can't remember, is pritzker more one-thing-at-a-time or systems-based?