T-Cells/B-Cells

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jab1113

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
"In the human immune system some B cells can bind directly to intact antigens. In contrast, T cells cannot bind directly to intact antigens and must have them presented in fragments by other host cells."

^This is a true statment from datqvault.

Can someone explain this in more detail because I thought that both B and T Cells can bind directly to antigens to destroy them

Members don't see this ad.

The important distinction between cell-mediated and humoral immunity is that in humoral immunity, B cells directly bind to free pathogens floating between cells. This (and when T-helper cells bind to the B-cell and activates it further) eventually leads to the production of antibodies specific to the antigen.

Cell-mediated immunity occurs only after pathogens have been ingested by other cells, broken down, and presented via its Antigen Presenting Complex. Cytotoxic T-cells now bind to this APC and release perforins, causing lysis.

One thing to note is that only the professional antigen-presenting cells (macrophages, dendrites, and B cells) have MHCII proteins on their surface. However, upon infection every nucleated cell in our body can present protein particles from the foreign invader to cytotoxic T-cells via MHCI proteins.

The important distinction between cell-mediated and humoral immunity is that in humoral immunity, B cells directly bind to free pathogens floating between cells. This (and when T-helper cells bind to the B-cell and activates it further) eventually leads to the production of antibodies specific to the antigen.

Cell-mediated immunity occurs only after pathogens have been ingested by other cells, broken down, and presented via its Antigen Presenting Complex. Cytotoxic T-cells now bind to this APC and release perforins, causing lysis.

One thing to note is that only the professional antigen-presenting cells (macrophages, dendrites, and B cells) have MHCII proteins on their surface. However, upon infection every nucleated cell in our body can present protein particles from the foreign invader to cytotoxic T-cells via MHCI proteins.

Frogbuster you look Ready for the DAT.. When r u taking it?
I know that FrogBuster is gonna BUST the DAT.:laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
Holy smokes frogger, we are taking it the exact same day homie, what time is your test? Mines at 1. And I have no doubt that you will get a higher score than me for sure.

Holy smokes frogger, we are taking it the exact same day homie, what time is your test? Mines at 1. And I have no doubt that you will get a higher score than me for sure.

Mine's way early at 7 I think.

lol I'd bet on you though, but I hope we both score high.