EMApplicant

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 1, 2004
Status
I hate the fact that my match results are stored out there on some NRMP hard-drive and I still have to wait 2 more weeks. :mad:

I guess i've always been a fan of instant gratification.

Waiting sucks.

So, what are your plans for match day? Do you, your friends, or your school have anything cool planned?

Hercules

Son of Zeus
15+ Year Member
Jul 25, 2000
Mobile, AL
Status
Attending Physician
EMApplicant said:
I hate the fact that my match results are stored out there on some NRMP hard-drive and I still have to wait 2 more weeks. :mad:

I guess i've always been a fan of instant gratification.

Waiting sucks.

So, what are your plans for match day? Do you, your friends, or your school have anything cool planned?
I actually don't think the Match results are done yet. I choose to believe that they run the algorithm on an old TI-85 or maybe a Commodore 64. Probably the Commodore. They could get the results back to us sooner, but the NRMP guys are hooked on Robotron and that takes up the majority of the RAM, so the Match algorithm just runs in the background whenever it can. That's why it takes 3 weeks to get the results back :D

I'd definitely be interested in hearing other school's Match Day ceremonies. At our school they put all of our letters in a bowl on a stage and start pulling them out one by one at 11:00A. You come down, put a dollar in the bowl, open your letter, and read where you're going to your classmates. Last person to get their letter gets the money.

jannakins

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 21, 2004
Status
This is actually a closely guarded secret but the school that EMApplicant and I attend are going to have the hottest match day party at Manhatten bar with tons of free drinks and food paid for out of our scribe service slush fund! Much drunkeness for all if that is your thing. Our school also has a nice free breakfast before we all take our letters out of our school mailbox.
Two weeks to go!!

J'kins

WilcoWorld

10+ Year Member
Nov 2, 2004
Status
Open bar in the heart of downtown Chicago on St. Patrick's Day. There will be a lot of MS4's green with garb, envy, nausea...

EctopicFetus

Keeping it funky enough
15+ Year Member
May 3, 2004
Arizona
Status
Attending Physician
Wilco Which bar?

OP
E

EMApplicant

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 1, 2004
Status
jannakins said:
This is actually a closely guarded secret but the school that EMApplicant and I attend are going to have the hottest match day party at Manhatten bar with tons of free drinks and food paid for out of our scribe service slush fund! Much drunkeness for all if that is your thing. Our school also has a nice free breakfast before we all take our letters out of our school mailbox.
Two weeks to go!!

J'kins
believe me, j'kins. on march 17th, drunkeness will definitely be my thing. oh, yes! Can't wait. :D

OP
E

EMApplicant

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 1, 2004
Status
Hercules said:
I actually don't think the Match results are done yet. I choose to believe that they run the algorithm on an old TI-85 or maybe a Commodore 64. Probably the Commodore. They could get the results back to us sooner, but the NRMP guys are hooked on Robotron and that takes up the majority of the RAM, so the Match algorithm just runs in the background whenever it can. That's why it takes 3 weeks to get the results back :D

I'd definitely be interested in hearing other school's Match Day ceremonies. At our school they put all of our letters in a bowl on a stage and start pulling them out one by one at 11:00A. You come down, put a dollar in the bowl, open your letter, and read where you're going to your classmates. Last person to get their letter gets the money.
even an old trash-80 could crunch those numbers in less time. well, maybe.. :laugh:

ekydrd

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 14, 2004
Louisville KY
Status
Resident [Any Field]
We are handed our envelopes and open them all together. It's what happens later that is fun. We get together at a local hot spot called De Ja Vu, where we each come up to a big map of the US, place a pin where we are going, have a superlative about us read to the audience, and take a shot (some are even non-alcoholic for those teetotalers here). There is a comedy show that evening afterwards too.

Let the drunken fun begin!!!

P.S. I think they run the algorhythm on an old government surpluss double floppy/no hard drive/all original desk top computer from the 80's.

15+ Year Member
Dec 7, 2001
Status
Non-Student
Hercules said:

Cheap bastards. We put in five dollars.

FoughtFyr

SDN Lifetime Donor
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Mar 19, 2003
Status
Post Doc
Panda Bear said:
$5.00!!! What the *&@$! We put in $10.00! But to be fair, there were only 45 people graduating at my campus and we made the winner buy the drinks that night!

:p

- H

Jeff698

EM/EMS nerd
15+ Year Member
Aug 11, 2000
Salado, Texas
Status
Attending Physician
We're in for a dollar and don't have to read the letter to the audience. Other than that it sounds like most of us do the same thing.

We're getting together on a roof top bar in downtown Galveston. Much free everything.

My fingernails are already toast and we still have another two weeks. i think I'm going to start nibbling on my fingers next. Hell, by match day, I may be up to my elbows!

Take care,
Jeff

OP
E

EMApplicant

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 1, 2004
Status
Just received via e-mail:

"Dear ERAS Applicant,

This e-mail is to explain how ERAS will work during
the Scramble period...."

Why do I have the darth vader theme song going through my head right now?

Hercules

Son of Zeus
15+ Year Member
Jul 25, 2000
Mobile, AL
Status
Attending Physician
Panda Bear said:
Come on man, I go to a state school...in Alabama. If it makes you feel better, there has been talk of upping the ante to $5. With 160+ in our class that would make for a pretty sweet payout.

ekydrd said:
We get together at a local hot spot called De Ja Vu, where we each come up to a big map of the US, place a pin where we are going, have a superlative about us read to the audience, and take a shot.
We do the big map and pin thing during our ceremony, too. Unfortunately it is sans shots.

Doczilla

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 7, 2005
Stomping Tokyo to ruins
Status
We only give a buck (the 5 spot gets lost later at the hold'em tournament). We meet an hour or so before the festivities, then parade en masse to the lecture hall. All the students are in costume in keeping with a theme decided by the class beforehand. This year the theme is "heroes and villains". I forsee much spandex.

And FoughtFyr, you and your $10 are always welcome at our poker table. :D

'zilla

FoughtFyr

SDN Lifetime Donor
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Mar 19, 2003
Status
Post Doc
Doczilla said:
And FoughtFyr, you and your $10 are always welcome at our poker table. :D

'zilla
O.k. 'zilla, it's on! I think we should have the "official", one-night only, SDN EM forum texas hold 'em tourney during SAEM this year!

Any takers?

- H

InfraMan

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 26, 2003
Visit site
Status
Not Robotron. If it's running on a C64, it's Llamatron all the way, bay-beee!

God that takes me back. Complete an intense level and as the screen changes you hear:

Baaaaaaaahhhhh! (w/ lots of echo/reverb/techno effects)

Edit: Er, on second thought, that wasn't the C64 but the Amiga. I'm such a nerd.

Good luck to all in the match!

Febrifuge

Grizzled Old Newcomer
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 7, 2003
febrifuge.blogspot.com
Status
Non-Student
FoughtFyr said:
O.k. 'zilla, it's on! I think we should have the "official", one-night only, SDN EM forum texas hold 'em tourney during SAEM this year!
Any takers?
- H
If I weren't going to be busy moving to New England at the end of May (like a week after SAEM), I would totally see what the $50 "undergrad" registration gets a guy.

ekydrd

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 14, 2004
Louisville KY
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Doczilla said:
... This year the theme is "heroes and villains". I forsee much spandex...
Aaaahhh... the image!!! It's burned in to my brain!!! Somebody, help me!!!