T32 grant - need advice

Started by entvs
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

entvs

New Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi, I got an offer for a position in T32 grant.
From what I have read on Internet it seems to be a great opportunity for me. But I have heard that mostly ppl prefer Otolaryngology residency above this academy position.
Could you tell me why? Am I missing something?
Any input will be highly appreciated.
 
Most people going into ENT are in it for the lifestyle, not necessarily academics; hence, they don't want to put in an extra 2 yrs. The number going round is that ~20% of T32 people go into academics. That's not a good number for the academics.

Regardless, a spot is a spot and, although the majority prefer the 5 yr tracks, a lot will take a 7 yr spot just to get into ENT. It's that competitive.

Bottom line - know what you want. If research is for you and an academic career, it's an easy choice. If you're not the strongest applicant, this may ensure your entry into the field. However, if you seek a 5 yr spot, go for that instead. It is very nice to know you have a spot, though.