tablet for intake?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bmedclinic

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All,
As I'm diving into private practice, I recently bought a tablet (same specs as a Surface 3 but with a lower knock off price point) and one of the uses Id like to try it for in practice is taking notes during an intake and hopefully turning my southpaw handwriting into text. If there's a few mistakes, I can tolerate that, but I'm wondering if anyone has done that, and what apps you're using. The tablet has android and windows both on them. BTW, nothing patient wise will be stored on the tablet- it all goes right into my work server, so hipaa will not be an issue.

Ive looked into making a pdf form of my typical intake and then writing into that and I've heard MS One Note is pretty good too, but I have very little experience with it. Open for any discussion, thoughts.

Members don't see this ad.

I have a Surface Pro 3 and I use One Note for this very purpose. The full version (not the light version that I believe is free) will turn your handwriting into text.

It is also useful for client documents. You could have a self-report questionnaire or your consent to treatment documents and have the client sign them electronically.

I would be careful regarding HIPAA, however. At my workplace, our consultants for information security instructed that even though our system works similarly to yours (nothing is saved to the tablet, it's immediately uploaded to the server) we still require that the tablet storage is encrypted, that the network access between tablet and server is encrypted, and of course that the server is encrypted.

Reactions: 1 user
I would be careful regarding HIPAA, however. At my workplace, our consultants for information security instructed that even though our system works similarly to yours (nothing is saved to the tablet, it's immediately uploaded to the server) we still require that the tablet storage is encrypted, that the network access between tablet and server is encrypted, and of course that the server is encrypted.
thanks. That's exactly what I'm planning to do.

Can I ask, how well does one note work for you to turn the handwriting into text?

My office is lousy with tablets, extra computers, projectors, etc. that I was sure I was going to use. Expensive stuff. Never used.

The tech things I do use: front desk person's desktop, testing laptop, office laptops, server, portable hard drives for off site storage, dragon with portable device, billing software.