Tactical Residency Transfer

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

carbslad

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
NSGY is my dream field, unfortunately, the NRMP match statistics are quite grim, where only 23% of non-US IMG's (n=8!) matched in 2016. I am an Australian medical student, and my big barrier to matching is having no sub-internship experience in the USA to get an 'in' with a program.

Would pursuing Neurology as a stepping stone to then transferring into a Neurosurgery program be a viable option? My resume otherwise ticks the Neurosurgery boxes for research, LOC's and elective placements in the field.

In essence: Does matching to Neurology and then transferring to Neurosurgery have a higher chance of success compared to attempting the match as a non-US IMG.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm guessing you would have start PGY-1 for neurosurg after completing most/all of a 4 year neurology residency if it was even doable. Keep in mind the first year of neurology residency is medicine.

I've heard most strongly advise against doing this as the fields are completely different. Surgery would be a better way to go.

Members don't see this ad :)
definitely dont. Im pretty sure that would be worse because they way reimbursement works from the acgme you would only be covered for the length of neurology residency, meaning the program would have to pay you and your malpractice entirely out of pocket for 3 or 4 plus years which they wont want to do.

No this would hurt your chances instead. I've seen international students rotate on a surgery/neurosurgery service, I would consider investigating that avenue more carefully.