"Tail" coverage necessary in psych?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Abby Normal

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a fourth year applying to residencies in the midwest. My decision making process to get to psych started with OB/GYN, where I learned the importance of malpractice "tail" coverage. This coverage is important because if a patient decides to file a suit years after a doctor finishes residency, malpractice coverage is in place. If a particular program in OB/GYN did not provide this, a resident would be wise to purchase this upon leaving.($$$)

So now when I am looking more closely at the programs to which I have applied, I am wondering if I still need to be concerned about tail coverage. One program I asked told me that that it was not needed in psychiatry, but I'm taking it with a grain of salt.

Is there anyone out there familiar with psych malpractice insurance coverage who cares to share?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

How long is the stature of limitations in these cases? I'm no attorney but I'll guess that it's one year? Just be extra special good in your 4th year. lol

Honestly I haven't thought of the concept of a person slapping you with a lawsuit the day after you graduate residency. Scary thought.

edit: statute, shows how much i know

I'm pretty sure the statute of limitations is going to differ from state to state. Re: whether or not to get tail coverage... good question. It's something that every physician (no matter what specialty) should probably take into consideration when looking for that first post-residency job and to somehow negotiate it into part of the contract (either make it part of a benefits package or ask for compensation to go get it on your own or whatever). Either way, tail coverage (or any malpractice coverage for that matter) for psych is nowhere even near the same ballpark (expense-wise) as for OB/Gyne. I'm guessing the best people to answer this question will either be some sharp 4th years who are facing this now or a lawyer.

Members don't see this ad :)
Many states have 2-year statutes of limitation. OB/Gyn is its own creature because the statute of limitation is 18 years in a number of states. While certainly important, I think there are other more pressing concerns during both interview season and residency.

If I understand correctly, the ob/gyn statute of limitations is 18 years because the parents have until the child is 18 to blame the ob/gyn for any problems.

What about other specialties that treat pregnant women? If a retired psychiatrist who no longer has malpractice coverage is sued because 16 years ago he treated a pregnant woman, and the parents want to blame something on in utero exposure to psych meds, what happens?

Hurricane, that is an excellent point, especially considering all the recent discussion of SSRI use during pregnancy. Sure, the plaintiff could target the drug company, but even in my *limited* knowledge, the doctor is still most likely to be named because it is still ultimately his/her responsibility when prescribing meds.

And no, I don't think the answer is to be so risk averse to just send pregnant patients over to MFM.

The point is that one simply cannot forsee all future implications of treating patients and that it seems prudent to be properly covered by appropriate malpractice insurance.

It would be nice to know how practicing psychiatrists deal with this issue.

I've been looking into insurance policies recently, since I'm now licensed and will be moonlighting in a few months.

Nearly all my attendings say that even after quite a bit of research, it's very hard to beat the APA's insurance program, and that they're very helpful with any questions you may have.

They discuss tail coverage, and other options on their website. You can also email them with specific questions, and they even have a legal advice service that can provide answers if you need them:

http://www.psychprogram.com/Products/products.htm

That's the ticket. Thanks!