Tail insurance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sleepdeprived

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it just me or do most groups not pay for tail insurance? anyone have any idea how much this actually would cost?

Members don't see this ad.

Is it just me or do most groups not pay for tail insurance? anyone have any idea how much this actually would cost?

At the places I interviewed, to my knowledge, tail insurance was graded depending on how long you were with the group.

If you do a search you should be able to find the calculation for the cost. I don't know it off the top of my head. It's some fraction of the premium. Either way, it'll be expensive.

Members don't see this ad :)
The answer is that it depends. This is something that you need to discuss with the practice - and the practice may in turn discuss it with the practice manager or consultant.

Roughly, the first year premium may be $4000 (depends on many circumstances), and then rises $4000 a year for two years to $12000 (where it stays). When you leave, the cost for the tail is around 2x the annula premium you are paying.

These are rough numbers.

Also, the $4000 figure I used could be substantially different based on the insurer that you are dealing with. If the agent does a significant volume of business with a particular carrier you may be able to get a significant discount (40% or so).