TAILORx Trial

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

owlegrad

Uncontrollable Sarcasm Machine
Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I was reading Time magazine and came across an article about this study and what impact it might have on breast cancer treatment. My mom is a breast cancer survivor and it is very interesting to read how unnecessary her chemo might have been in her treatment.

Adjuvant Chemotherapy Guided by a 21-Gene Expression Assay in Breast Cancer. - PubMed - NCBI

Anyone have any thoughts about it? The trial design seems sound to me but it has been a while since I have had to do a journal club without the answer key. ;)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
It is weird to think about all those people getting chemo for probably no reason. But this is how medicine works. It’s like how bloodletting with leaches was reasonable for everything under the sun until at one point... it wasn’t.

It could be worse though. It probably feels horrible to have had a loved one die in the last few years of melanoma or one of the other cancers recently revolutionized by checkpoint inhibitors.

Reactions: 1 users
I think one needs to deconstruct the numbers in order to be able to calculate NNT. Then from there it is about benefit vs risk judgment.