Take 5 weeks winter Physics 2 + Lab or wait till spring semester?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wannagotoFlorida!!

Reaction score
I have to complete Physics 2, Physics 2 lab, and organic chem lab as my remaining prereqs to apply in May 2021. The courses are being offered this winter as a 5 week course, and also in spring as 8-week and 16-week courses.

Would it look bad to take the 5 week winter class over the same course but in a 8 or 16-week format over spring? As long as i do well, would it matter if it is shorter or not, especially if my previous pre-req grades are all A's?

Members don't see this ad.

I took physics in the summer condensed into like 8 weeks or something, and it was fine (personally) just harder since the material is taught over a smaller period of time.

Reactions: 1 user
If you think you can do well and/or do better than in the spring, I think you should do it. Make sure the professor is good and is a reasonable grader too!

Members don't see this ad :)
I have to complete Physics 2, Physics 2 lab, and organic chem lab as my remaining prereqs to apply in May 2021. The courses are being offered this winter as a 5 week course, and also in spring as 8-week and 16-week courses.

Would it look bad to take the 5 week winter class over the same course but in a 8 or 16-week format over spring? As long as i do well, would it matter if it is shorter or not, especially if my previous pre-req grades are all A's?
If they're at the same school, it's six of one and half a dozen of the other. They look exactly the same to an adcom. The question is, assuming it's a 3 credit class (I don't know how to adjust for the labs, since we all know they take waaaay more time than 1-1.5 hours per week!) can you handle compressing 48 class hours plus all the outside work, homework, and exams, into 5 weeks?

That's very intense for some people, but, if you can do it, good for you, and the schools won't care at all! :cool: You might be able to swing the lecture, but IMHO, trying to take one or both labs during the same 5 week period along with the lecture will definitely be pushing it. Not worth the potential hit to your grades just to have an easier spring.

Just curious, which university has physics and ochem available over a winter term or as 8-week courses? Also, do you happen to know if this is available at other universities, and if so, which ones?

I personally am really interested in taking chem courses over a short term. I've already finished the usual prereqs (gen chem & ochem) but these chem courses aren't very applicable to the medical field so I wouldn't expect med schools to be concerned about it. Btw, I'm not sure how a winter term class is indicated on the AMCAS application. So far I've seen markings for the spring, fall, and summer semesters but not the winter. If it's not an isolated marking, I would assume it to be categorized under the spring. If you happen to know what the case is, please let me know.