Take a free practice DAT before studying?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FutureDDS_11

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I only just completed my 3rd semester of undergrad (studying Bio, of course). However, I am on a long 3 week winter break and have plenty of free time. Im on the verge of watching Chad's videos just for entertainment during work.

So I was wondering if I should take a practice DAT test just "for fun" to see where I am without any studying (I have done almost all of the pre-reqs except for either Orgos as well as Micro Bio). Would you recommend doing that or should I not do a practice exam until I have fully learned all of the material?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Go have some fun instead.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
By "free" practice DAT test, are you talking about the free ones offered by Kaplan or any other test prep company, or are you referring to the actual $415 DAT test as a trial run....? Please don't take the $415 one "just to see where you are"...

May I ask why?

No real benefit. It's not like a single practice test can accurately assess all your strong and weak points, that's something you get a feel for across many tests/practice questions. Regardless of what a single practice test says you are weak in, you should be studying all of the material anyway if you want to do well. Save practice tests for after you've finished content review.

If you insist on being overly prepared and having some head start for the DAT then just do a bit of review for the things you've already covered that will be on the test.

You will have a goon enough idea of your strength and weaknesses as you go through the process of studying without having to take a practice DAT before you start to do so. It is a waste of time. I post this to everyone that I see asking about the DAT, and would highly recommend it. If you are taking the DAT at the end of next summer (early to mid August), start doing this at the end of June. You can work full time and still follow the schedule. Best of luck!

http://datbootcamp.com/Ari'sStudyGuide.pdf
http://datbootcamp.com/Ari'sStudySchedule.pdf
Thank you and I will definitely be doing the bootcamp as it is an awesome resource as I have heard from many people.
Do you think that studying for 3 months will be sufficient to do the Bootcamp in addition to the other significant studying resources and maybe taking a Kaplan DAT class?

No real benefit. It's not like a single practice test can accurately assess all your strong and weak points, that's something you get a feel for across many tests/practice questions. Regardless of what a single practice test says you are weak in, you should be studying all of the material anyway if you want to do well. Save practice tests for after you've finished content review.

If you insist on being overly prepared and having some head start for the DAT then just do a bit of review for the things you've already covered that will be on the test.
Thank you and yeah I am much better off not since I know I will be studying everything anyways.
By the way, I saw your DAT breakdown and that is fantastic what an awesome score you have received on the DAT! I have bookmarked your breakdown the spring before even signing up for this forum haha.
I am probably going to watch Chad's biology videos and watch some Crashcourse videos on both Chemistry and Biology over this 3 week break.

Thank you and yeah I am much better off not since I know I will be studying everything anyways.
By the way, I saw your DAT breakdown and that is fantastic what an awesome score you have received on the DAT! I have bookmarked your breakdown the spring before even signing up for this forum haha.
I am probably going to watch Chad's biology videos and watch some Crashcourse videos on both Chemistry and Biology over this 3 week break.
When are you planning on taking the DAT? Prestudying over break won't help you if you're taking it in the summer and yeah 3 months is plenty of time. You have a 4.0. Assuming your school is at least somewhat challenging you'll be fine for the DAT. Just relax over break. I had a 3.2 science gpa and with a month of studying (max 4 hours a day is my definition of serious, and it was often less) I got a 26. If you use your time wisely I bet you'll get a great score too, but I don't consider prestudying over winter break to be a good use if time lol.

Last edited:
A lot of people study for 1-2 months. 3 months and you start forgetting stuff

When are you planning on taking the DAT? Prestudying over break won't help you if you're taking it in the summer and yeah 3 months is plenty of time. You have a 4.0. Assuming your school is at least somewhat challenging you'll be fine for the DAT. Just relax over break. I had a 3.2 science gpa and with a month of studying (max 4 hours a day is my definition of serious, and it was often less) I got a 26. If you use your time wisely I bet you'll get a great score too, but I don't consider prestudying over winter break to be a good use if time lol.
26 is an awesome score! I am aiming for above a 24 but I don't how possible that is for me. May I ask you for what resources did you use to study for the DAT?

Bootcamp, destroyer, and chads videos. You can supplement with other stuff but those 3 are all I used and I felt they were sufficient

Looking at PAT videos and doing a few problems would be helpful if you're set on getting started now. Save the rest of the sections for 1-2 months out from the DAT.