take a P or break my 4.0?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OkStart

Reaction score
Due to the COVID-19 situation my school is letting us, in the spring and summer semester, to take a P in any class that we get at least a C- in. I'm a freshman and I'm slated to get a B+ at best in psychology this semester. Also, I've taken two Ws this semester and in total. The first class I withdrew from was because it was basically an English class and I didn't want to deal with taking a second English class in the same semester, also even the syllabus said that I should take the English class I'm currently taking before taking that one. I'm not sure why the school let me take it with no contingencies. The second class was because the class was centered around a group project that would've been integral to my grade and it became obvious that I would have to do most of the work if I wanted to secure a decent grade, as the professor was uninterested in making sure everyone was pulling their weight. I know that P/F grades are unacceptable for science prereqs but what about the non science ones? Are they seen as similar to a W or are they ignored? Also, am I supposed to retake general ed classes that aren't part of the pre med curriculum?

Members don't see this ad.

Take the B+, psychology is a required course for the MCAT and it wouldn't look great to do P/F

It may look even worse to have a P/F class in the same semester that you've taken 2 Ws, unless you have some extenuating circumstance that led to it. Doesn't seem like you do

Reactions: 2 users
Due to the COVID-19 situation my school is letting us, in the spring and summer semester, to take a P in any class that we get at least a C- in. I'm a freshman and I'm slated to get a B+ at best in psychology this semester. Also, I've taken two Ws this semester and in total. The first class I withdrew from was because it was basically an English class and I didn't want to deal with taking a second English class in the same semester, also even the syllabus said that I should take the English class I'm currently taking before taking that one. I'm not sure why the school let me take it with no contingencies. The second class was because the class was centered around a group project that would've been integral to my grade and it became obvious that I would have to do most of the work if I wanted to secure a decent grade, as the professor was uninterested in making sure everyone was pulling their weight. I know that P/F grades are unacceptable for science prereqs but what about the non science ones? Are they seen as similar to a W or are they ignored? Also, am I supposed to retake general ed classes that aren't part of the pre med curriculum?

As many people have told me when I was a freshman a long year ago - you have time to bring your GPA up! Don't worry! Recognize where you made your mistakes and move on. Also, P/F does NOT look good to professional/med schools.

Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I came here expecting your quote. Didn't you patent it? :)

If not, I’ll plagiarize it in a couple years.

As for the question at hand:
The grade of P - excluding when unavoidable in some classes where only Ps are offered - will ALWAYS be viewed as the lowest possible grade.

in other words, you’re asking us “Should I get a C- or a B+?”.

I think the answer becomes self-explanatory.