Dismiss Notice
Last chance to give your feedback! Fill out the 2019 SDN Member Survey to let us know what's important to you (and win prizes!)

Take a year off? PLEASE HELP!!!

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by 0932, Mar 12, 2007.

1. 0932

Pre-Medical
    Hi all,
    Should I take a year off to boost my GPA?

My GPA was 3.83 at a liberal arts college, now 3.34 at Ivy (after I transferred), with a cumulative GPA of 3.56, and science GPA of 3.45.
    I did research since high school, volunteered for hospitals and others, have 3 majors, worked in hospitals and other jobs. I am also an unrepresented minority. Yet my MCAT was only 24O (9BS, 9PS, 6VR) when I took it as a sophomore. I’m now a junior, and published in an undergraduate (peer-review journal) journal as the only author.
    I want to apply for MD/PhD.

• Should I take a year off to increase my GPA and take MCAT a year later when I have more time to study?
    • With my stats, should I just pursue a MD?
    • Or should I retake the MCAT now and apply over the summer and see what my chances are?
    • Will reapplying to medical schools or taking MCAT 3 times be a problem?
    • If I do take a year off, will pursing a master’s degree or a research publication be better?

ANY comments and suggestions will be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

2. LizzyM

LizzyM the evil queen of numbers
    Faculty Verified Expert 10+ Year Member

Academic Administration

Every Ivy has an excellent pre-med advisory committee. Talk with someone from that office to get their advice.

My own opinion is that you need to boost your MCAT and a publication as a member of a team in a peer-reviewed journal (not a student journal) would be a plus. If you have nothing less than a B on your transcript you should be OK in that regard -- if not, this is all the more reason to talk with an experience pre-med advisor.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Your chances of getting into an MD program with a 24 are pretty low, so I would definately recommend taking the test again to boost your chances. Medical schools don't necessarily look down on re-taking the MCAT or reapplying, but I would believe that your chances would be best during your first time applying...I would say take a year off, but if you are ready, take the MCAT this summer (ONLY if you feel 100% ready). If you can significantly boost your score over the summer then take a shot at applying for next year's cycle. Otherwise, you could spend a year doing research and boosting your app in other ways while working to raise your MCAT score. good luck!

4. notdeadyet

notdeadyet Still in California
    Moderator Verified Expert 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Take a year to boost you GPA and (expecially) your MCAT. Then you should be in great shape...

5. bbabul01

5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Everyone should take at least one year off.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. 63768

63768 Guest
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    get your MCAT up. that's the most limiting factor in your app. get that up. the 3.56 cum and ivy GPA will take some explaining but i think you can get that somewhat up by the end of your undergrad years.

7. crimsonkid85

7+ Year Member

MD/PhD Student
    not true for MD/PhD. it takes long enough as is.

8. somemaybedoc

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I wouldn't risk reapplying, your chances with a 24 aren't so hot and who wants to answer all those reapplicant questions. Get all over that MCAT like a cheap suit. Good luck! :)

9. AtreyuRocks

7+ Year Member

MD/PhD Student
    UN represented or UNDER represented? what is your minority if you don't mind me asking? i just applied MD/PHD for the 2007 cycle 3.48 (3.51 BCPM) 29 MCAT... depending on where you want to go I would suggest getting your MCAT a little bit higher even if you are a minority (sometimes 7 can be the cutoff for V)... if you can get it to 27 or 28 as a minority you will have MUCH better chances. apply early as well.

basically, take a year off. i think my strong points as a NON-URM with low stats was that i had significant research experience (4 years- 2 UG, 2 Full time all in same lab), strong PS's and maybe my 11V... i have not been accepted yet (applying late made my chances worse-- verified in nov) but received 4 interviews. hope my stats help you in making your decision!

10. Fiddlergirl

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Take a year off, but use it to pad your resume (EMT, research, etc.) Think of at a chance to detox...