Take a year off? PLEASE HELP!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
Should I take a year off to boost my GPA?

My GPA was 3.83 at a liberal arts college, now 3.34 at Ivy (after I transferred), with a cumulative GPA of 3.56, and science GPA of 3.45.
I did research since high school, volunteered for hospitals and others, have 3 majors, worked in hospitals and other jobs. I am also an unrepresented minority. Yet my MCAT was only 24O (9BS, 9PS, 6VR) when I took it as a sophomore. I’m now a junior, and published in an undergraduate (peer-review journal) journal as the only author.
I want to apply for MD/PhD.

• Should I take a year off to increase my GPA and take MCAT a year later when I have more time to study?
  • With my stats, should I just pursue a MD?
  • Or should I retake the MCAT now and apply over the summer and see what my chances are?
  • Will reapplying to medical schools or taking MCAT 3 times be a problem?
  • If I do take a year off, will pursing a master’s degree or a research publication be better?

ANY comments and suggestions will be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all,

My GPA was 3.83 at a liberal arts college, now 3.34 at Ivy (after I transferred), with a cumulative GPA of 3.56, and science GPA of 3.45.
I did research since high school, volunteered for hospitals and others, have 3 majors, worked in hospitals and other jobs. I am also an unrepresented minority. Yet my MCAT was only 24O (9BS, 9PS, 6VR) when I took it as a sophomore. I’m now a junior, and published in an undergraduate (peer-review journal) journal as the only author.

• Should I take a year off to increase my GPA and take MCAT a year later when I have more time to study?
  • Or should I retake the MCAT now and apply over the summer and see what my chances are?
  • If I do take a year off, will pursing a master’s degree or a research publication be better?

Every Ivy has an excellent pre-med advisory committee. Talk with someone from that office to get their advice.

My own opinion is that you need to boost your MCAT and a publication as a member of a team in a peer-reviewed journal (not a student journal) would be a plus. If you have nothing less than a B on your transcript you should be OK in that regard -- if not, this is all the more reason to talk with an experience pre-med advisor.

Your chances of getting into an MD program with a 24 are pretty low, so I would definately recommend taking the test again to boost your chances. Medical schools don't necessarily look down on re-taking the MCAT or reapplying, but I would believe that your chances would be best during your first time applying...I would say take a year off, but if you are ready, take the MCAT this summer (ONLY if you feel 100% ready). If you can significantly boost your score over the summer then take a shot at applying for next year's cycle. Otherwise, you could spend a year doing research and boosting your app in other ways while working to raise your MCAT score. good luck!

Hi all,

Members don't see this ad :)
Take a year to boost you GPA and (expecially) your MCAT. Then you should be in great shape...

Everyone should take at least one year off.

get your MCAT up. that's the most limiting factor in your app. get that up. the 3.56 cum and ivy GPA will take some explaining but i think you can get that somewhat up by the end of your undergrad years.

I wouldn't risk reapplying, your chances with a 24 aren't so hot and who wants to answer all those reapplicant questions. Get all over that MCAT like a cheap suit. Good luck! :)

Hi all,

UN represented or UNDER represented? what is your minority if you don't mind me asking? i just applied MD/PHD for the 2007 cycle 3.48 (3.51 BCPM) 29 MCAT... depending on where you want to go I would suggest getting your MCAT a little bit higher even if you are a minority (sometimes 7 can be the cutoff for V)... if you can get it to 27 or 28 as a minority you will have MUCH better chances. apply early as well.

basically, take a year off. i think my strong points as a NON-URM with low stats was that i had significant research experience (4 years- 2 UG, 2 Full time all in same lab), strong PS's and maybe my 11V... i have not been accepted yet (applying late made my chances worse-- verified in nov) but received 4 interviews. hope my stats help you in making your decision!

Take a year off, but use it to pad your resume (EMT, research, etc.) Think of at a chance to detox...