Take all recommended courses?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Flower_Child

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys. I don't think this has been asked before, at least I didn't see it. Im putting all my eggs in one basket and am shooting for U of M. For location purposes because I have a son. Any who, at u of m recommend is histology and cell biology which I will not have by the time I graduate or matriculate. If my gpa and dat are good, will this be over looked? And how helpful are these courses on the dat? I know recommended should be thought of as required. But I'm seeing on here people who have gotten in without histology. These will be my only missing recommended courses Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Recommended means recommended, not required. Recommended courses aren't needed at all to do well on the dat. But the recommended courses sure will help once you get to dental school.

Members don't see this ad :)
Unless it's listed as a prerequisite I do not believe they will strictly require those two courses.

I haven't taken Histology in undergrad, but I believe D1's across the nation take Histology at their dental schools. Take that if you were to choose. "Recommended courses" probably is the smallest factor in admissions.