Take comlex only or both comlex and usmle?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

indymed

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a 2nd year med student wondering if I should bother taking the usmle. I hope to go into anesthesia on the west coast. I am leaning away from taking the usmle because I would feel more comfrotable focusing my energy all on one exam and doing well on that one exam, rather than spread myself thin on both exams. Any and all advice would be welcome.

Members don't see this ad.

indymed said:
I am a 2nd year med student wondering if I should bother taking the usmle. I hope to go into anesthesia on the west coast. I am leaning away from taking the usmle because I would feel more comfrotable focusing my energy all on one exam and doing well on that one exam, rather than spread myself thin on both exams. Any and all advice would be welcome.

The USMLE is easier than the COMLEX. You would be doing yourself a great disservice to put yourself at such a disadvantage by not taking the USMLE.

Some residencies dont accept COMLEX anyway.

OSUdoc08 said:
The USMLE is easier than the COMLEX.
Maybe you should take the tests before serving up a blanket like this.

To the OP-There are significant differences b/t the exams in format, intention and content. However, thorough prep for the USMLE + OMT cramming works well for most folks.

To get real info about this I recommend searching the Residency forums in the specialties that interest you. If going allo, the trend appears to be that taking both is a safe way to go. Reporting USMLE scores is optional on residency apps. From my recon of this topic it seems that the more competitive programs are more likely to want to see scores from both.

fuegorama said:
Maybe you should take the tests before serving up a blanket like this.

To the OP-There are significant differences b/t the exams in format, intention and content. However, thorough prep for the USMLE + OMT cramming works well for most folks.

To get real info about this I recommend searching the Residency forums in the specialties that interest you. If going allo, the trend appears to be that taking both is a safe way to go. Reporting USMLE scores is optional on residency apps. From my recon of this topic it seems that the more competitive programs are more likely to want to see scores from both.

This is according to the following people:

1. A current Kaplan USMLE teacher & previous USMLE & COMLEX test writer
2. A current intern, who took both exams
3. A current MS-IV, who took both exams

Members don't see this ad :)
just my thought...

if you would like to do any sort of competitive residency i'd suggest taking both USMLE and COMLEX.

true, if you only want the option of DO programs than COMLEX alone is fine

but why not take both exams and open up more doors for you.

with that said, taking both tests is a double edged sword. if you do well on COMLEX and do worse on USMLE, then people will just validate that DO students do worse on USMLE than MD students (granted that we are taught for COMLEX style questions). so if you decide to take both, you need to do well on both.

as for the two tests, i thought COMLEX was easier than USMLE (mainly because USMLE had better questions). it's true that our DO training gears us towards COMLEX but it also prepares you for USMLE very well. i just studied the same for both (FA and USMLE Qbank) and spent an extra day of reviewing biochem and molecular genetics for USMLE.

i know it's a drag taking both exams, but you'll be very glad you did when it's time to look at programs and you hav double the options with your USMLE scores.

on the flip side, i know of a anesthesia resident at a very prestigious anesthesia program who didn't take USMLE (but aced COMLEX)

oh, and it would help to contact the programs you're interested in now and ask if they take COMLEX or require USMLE (some will even tell you that they take COMLEX, but that you should take USMLE to be competitive). also keep in mind that you might be set on anesthesia now...but who knows what will happen and you might change your mind and will kick yourself for not taking USMLE then (happened to me, very glad i did both).

pm me if you have any questions about either exam.

My understanding is (and I could be wrong) that if you take the USMLE in addition to the COMLEX you have the option to not release the score b/c it is an optional test. Someone please let me know if they have first hand knowledge that this is not the case.

Keep in mind that you could also choose to take the just the COMLEX part 1 and then take both COMLEX part 2 and USMLE step 2 early on in MS4. You don't have to take USMLE step 1 to be able to take step 2. Also, at the step 2 stage the exams are pretty similar so it isn't like you need to prepare any differently for the 2 tests other than to look over the autonomics page in Savarese.

that is very true, but some specialties (i think most) put more weight on Step 1 over Step 2. so keep that in mind as well. and as far as i know, you can choose to not release your USMLE score...correct me if i'm wrong please.