take home exams over thanksgiving?!?!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

poloace

10+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
ok- before this gets moved to the lounge- let me get some serious input-

i am at school getting my MPH at columbia. in one of my classes, we are scheduled to be given a take home exam on monday of thanksgiving week, due the following monday. now, something seems officially wrong to me.... if it is a holiday which the school follows, can they give you exams which span over holidays??? i've never really had this concern. i wouldn't be bitc*ing about it so much except for the fact that i'll be going home to cali for a family engagement which is unrelated to thanksgiving at around the same time. i tried looking into their academic procedures guide and could not find it in there... anyone have any advice??

p

Members don't see this ad.

thanksgiving is on thursday and i think schools just give friday off so technically u still have saturday and sunday which are not essentially thanksgiving holidays. (from what i understand!)

i do know what u mean though, my school recently cancelled our fall break because they said people went home and the intention of the fall break was supposed to be like a study break.

:rolleyes:

sorry and good luck!

I would be thanking my lucky stars!!!!!!!!!! A take home exam in college is a real rarity and a take home exam on a break is practically never done. Bite the bullet and take the exam because if you complain they will most likely give it as a regular exam on the Wednesday before the break when you are trying to get ready to travel. No take home, you have to memorize all the material. It might make you very unpopular with your classmates also if they have to take a regular exam.

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by poloace
anyone have any advice??

Yeah, I think you might have to suck it up and take the exam. Sorry, it hurts, but it's the truth.

Do any schools have rules about no exams over holidays? I've never heard of this.

I would be thanking my lucky stars!!!!!!!!!! A take home exam in college is a real rarity and a take home exam on a break is practically never done. Bite the bullet and take the exam because if you complain they will most likely give it as a regular exam on the Wednesday before the break when you are trying to get ready to travel. No take home, you have to memorize all the material. It might make you very unpopular with your classmates also if they have to take a regular exam.

I disagree, all the take home tests that I have ever had were about 10 times as hard as it would have been to have taken the test during class. Typically, the professors find some really outlandish questions that you have to spend hours researching to be able to answer. I just finished a take home test in medical micro. When all was said and done, it was 18 pages worth of answers. Then to top it off, they grade these damn things as if they are a Ph.D. thesis or something.

Anyway, professors usually have pretty wide latitude in the way they test and I don't think that there is any way you can get out of it. I think the best approach would be to talk to your professor about what the problem is.

Cheers,
DALA

I totally agree that they are way harder than the regular tests ( I think I only had 2 my entire college career) and they both took forever but I had an unlimited time to work on them and tons of resources so I always did great. It sucks to do that over a holiday but at Miami they did crap like that all the time (not take home tests but assign huge papers and stuff) and you just have to live with it. In my experience, any time you gripe and complain they always make it worse, like we had 2 big exams in 2 different classes that fell on the same day and a bunch of the kids complained trying to get the prof to change the day of the exam, and he obliged, moved the sucker up a week and we had not even finished the material that we were tested on plus it was twice as hard as the previous 2 years exams.