Take luggage to interview?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

oclor

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I saw some other threads about this but they were really old and not for dental interviews so I'll ask this question here.

I'm going to 2 interviews next week and my flights will be right after the interview. I'm pretty sure I have to check out of the hotel before my interview is done. So do I bring my luggage with me to the interview? Would they have a place for it and will they object? I don't mind traveling back in my suit.

I was kind of worried because when I went to NYU (didn't have this problem since I was leaving the next day) a D2 came in the admissions office and asked if she could leave her luggage there until the end of the day and they said no...

Members don't see this ad.

I saw some other threads about this but they were really old and not for dental interviews so I'll ask this question here.

I'm going to 2 interviews next week and my flights will be right after the interview. I'm pretty sure I have to check out of the hotel before my interview is done. So do I bring my luggage with me to the interview? Would they have a place for it and will they object? I don't mind traveling back in my suit.

I was kind of worried because when I went to NYU (didn't have this problem since I was leaving the next day) a D2 came in the admissions office and asked if she could leave her luggage there until the end of the day and they said no...

call each school and ask. How can we answer your question without even knowing what schools you're going to be at?

call each school and ask. How can we answer your question without even knowing what schools you're going to be at?

From experience maybe... No need to be an a-hole.

BU and Temple.

Members don't see this ad :)
From experience maybe... No need to be an a-hole.

BU and Temple.

So tomorrow call BU and Temple. Not a big deal. You wont even have to give them your name.

yea.. call the schools and ask.. if they say no.. i guess you have options like..
1. leaving it at the hotel if airport is close enough. i've heard of hotels holding your bags for your even after you check out.
2. use locker services at train stations, etc.
3. do you know anyone at the school? a friend? maybe they'll let you store it in their room for a few hours?

I see no reason why you can't take your luggage to the interview. I've brought my luggage to a couple interviews this year and they had a place for us to keep it for the day (others brought their luggage too). Also, if your hotel is close by you can usually leave your luggage at the front desk after checking out. You should have no problem, but to ease your mind (and release the unnecessary luggage stress) feel free to call the school and ask. There should be a contact number in your interview invitation email. I did that at a school and it was a quick 30 second phone call.

Good luck and congrats on the interviews!

previous post beat me too it (edit).

yeah I think at every interview I have been to, or nearly so, people have brought luggage and put it in a room, or behind a desk. Nobody ever had a problem. Even NYU people brought luggage.

I have not needed to bring my luggage yet, but often I can walk back to my hotel after or at Oklahoma they had a shuttle around everywhere and when I called them they put my luggage in the shuttle picked me up and brought me to the airport. It was sweet.

Anyway, most of them I check my bags with the hotel after I check out. they hold them for a few hours, then I come back and off to the airport I go.

Thank you all! I'll call the schools and hotels tomorrow just to make sure. Thanks again!

definitely call and ask, but it shouldn't be an issue. I remember at least one applicant who had to bring his luggage to the interview and it wasn't a problem.

At NYU they allow interviewees to leave their luggage, I know I did. There's a tiny room for it in back, fits maybe 3 persons' luggage.

Pitt allowed you to leave your luggage as well.

I'm pretty sure you can't leave your luggage for Michigan though.

Yes you can leave your luggage at michigan. So if you come for your interview with your luggage what are they going to do? Say "No" and then you carry your stuff around with you all day? Not likely. And if they do say that then you might as well just leave because they don't care about their students at all.

Yes you can leave your luggage at michigan. So if you come for your interview with your luggage what are they going to do? Say "No" and then you carry your stuff around with you all day? Not likely. And if they do say that then you might as well just leave because they don't care about their students at all.

Are you saying that you actually know because you left your luggage during your Michigan interview, or are you just making a general point for everyone to just F it and bring your luggage to the interview regardless?

I for one want to be a dentist too badly to turn down a school simply because they refuse to let me leave my lugguge; I'm not that stubborn and am not going to throw away my career like that. Maybe some people are though..

What if the dental school has a very strict policy or simply has no room for luggage, and this reflects poorly on you during the interview? They typically only accept 2/3 of interviewees for most schools, you don't want to be the 1/3 that stands out in a bad way.. At least for me, getting into dental school is 1st priority, how much they care about their students is 2nd lol, and only comes into play if I have the luxury of choosing between schools..

Best to confirm with SDN or with the schools themselves. Being hardheaded and stubborn about it could possibly cost you your seat, and give it to dentalservant :p

I was at NYU today and there were at least 2 people there who had luggage and stored it in the coatroom in the back near the bathrooms.

I've seen people store their luggage, take their luggage into the actual interview, etc. Don't worry about that kind of simple stuff and get a lot of rest and prepare for your interview.