Take MCAT for practice or refund?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

So..I'm signed up for a future MCAT but later in the summer I have decided to take a gap year (and apply next cycle). I still have time to get about $120 back since regular deadline hasn't closed. OR, I can simply go in and take the exam and then void it to get a really awesome full length practice. Do you think it's worth $120?

Members don't see this ad.

So..I'm signed up for a future MCAT but later in the summer I have decided to take a gap year (and apply next cycle). I still have time to get about $120 back since regular deadline hasn't closed. OR, I can simply go in and take the exam and then void it to get a really awesome full length practice. Do you think it's worth $120?

OR just buy the AAMC official practice tests at $35 a pop.

Members don't see this ad :)
refund
cuz taking it for practice is useless since you cant see your test results.

you should study hard, take the test and move on with your life. i dont understand why deciding to take a gap year changes anything.

refund

hmm...that's true..I know i'm being extremely picky here..but I was wondering if it's worth taking it just to be oriented to the test center and the overall feel of the test center or not.

hmm...that's true..I know i'm being extremely picky here..but I was wondering if it's worth taking it just to be oriented to the test center and the overall feel of the test center or not.

I definitely see your point, the real thing is different than a practice test. However, if you are going into the testing center knowing it won't count then in essence you are taking a practice test, and you will not have experienced the true test complete with nerves and all. As far as becoming familiar with the testing center itself, I'm not sure it's something you really need to get "used to."

The best thing about practice is you get to review your mistakes. Taking a test and never seeing what you got wrong is completely pointless and a waste of money (and time).

True..I wasn't thinking like that..now I can why it'd be waste of time..thanks for posts guys!

If you want practice, you can try a kaplan full length under testing conditions.

refund

^^^^

Unless you want to take it for procedural purposes, but various SDN users have posted extensive walk-throughs of what to bring and do when test day comes.

Take the test, it won't count toward your total of 3 for next year. Worth it to get oriented to the test center and such. I did the same and it helped. You pay thousands to go to med school, $120 is no big deal.

you should study hard, take the test and move on with your life
songht1.jpg
song2.jpg
song16.jpg
zamz1.jpg

Umm…I do not nearly have enough time to prepare (I have taken diagnostics) and have other commitments right now...plus I have carefully thought it out (otherwise I wouldn’t be taking a gap year)….I’d rather take the MCAT only once and ace it when I am fully ready (I know I know, no one is ever fully prepared for MCAT but at least I will have more time to take enough FLs to know that I will do well). Thanks for your suggestion though..