Take or Cancel step 1?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MeredithGreyDO

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm a DO student so I'm not required to take step 1. I want to go into FM, but I'm also interested in anesthesia and infectious disease so wanted to keep my options open. I'm supposed to take the exam a week from today. I've had some poor scores on self-assessments, which led me to consider not taking it to begin with:

UWSA1 on 4/24: 198
UWSA2 on 5/10: 196
NBME 30 on 5/15: 206
Free 120 on 5/22 (today): 83%

There's definitely an upward trend, but I'm worried I still won't end up with a good enough score that it would actually be an impressive part of my application. I found the UWSA impossibly difficult, but felt more confident on the NBME and felt like the Free 120 was a breeze comparatively.

I'm not sure if I should take another NBME to decide, cancel it, or just take it. Thanks for your input!

Members don't see this ad.

If your goal is to simply pass then you're probably good to go. But if your goal is to hit a specific score then it might be best to not take it.

I would take another NBME to see. The biggest concern is how low your UW scores are. Did you finish the qbank? If so what % did you end up at overall and what were you block scores ranging from the last couple of weeks?

If your goal is to simply pass then you're probably good to go. But if your goal is to hit a specific score then it might be best to not take it.

I would take another NBME to see. The biggest concern is how low your UW scores are. Did you finish the qbank? If so what % did you end up at overall and what were you block scores ranging from the last couple of weeks?

Thanks for your response. I've finished about 60% of the uworld q bank, and my overall percent correct is 64%. My recent blocks have been ranging from 65-75%, earlier in dedicated they were 55-65%. My goal is a 220+, otherwise I don't think it would actually help me to take it