Take the B/B+ or Drop

Started by Anion
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Anion

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey everyone,

First post in the forums, long time observer. I am a URM, graduated with a 3.8, cum laude, phi beta kappa with a couple other awards for scholarship and community service. Science GPA from minimum number of science required classes was a 3.4 (no pre-reqs). Worked for a couple years in low income communities and saw firsthand the challenges families and students have with accessing medical care and want to do something about it.

I took the plunge to start taking pre-req classes while working full time. Gen Chem is kicking my ass, class average on last two quizzes was a 30% but I think I am headed towards an A or A-. Biology is another story. Last exam was rough; class is 5 weeks behind schedule (yes, 5 weeks). Due to class being behind schedule, our 4 chapter exams and final are being changed to two chapter exams and a final, which makes this last exam count for more. Long story short, I'm headed towards a B+/B. Should I drop the class or keep the grade and move on?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
No. Keep a B/B+.

You should only consider dropping if you're heading for a C/C- at this point. A grade of B's won't kill you for a few classes, and a B+ is pretty decent. If you plan on applying to high level MD schools IDK, but this isn't a reason for concern.
 
Yeah, you're totally fine with the B/B+. And this is the first semester of gen chem, right? Do whatever you can to get that A second semester: utilize different study techniques, spend more time studying each day/week if possible, utilize tutoring services at the school, go to office hours, do extra practice problems, use YouTube resources, form a productive study group, etc. I am sure it is a challenge to go the extra mile while working full time, but YOU CAN DO IT! 🙂
 
Lol, your cumulative gpa is so high, it won't even make a dent. A string of B's though, that's another story.