take the kaplan course?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HurricaneAlana

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
there is one being offered at my school during the summer... i am planning on taking the DAT mid august (i know, rather late.. :() i usually study for things on my own, and hope that'll be enough... but i feel that my GPA is not very competitive, and I want to really do well... did anyone take the course? and if so, was it helpful? i've heard mixed reviews about Kaplan from other friends (who took exams such as the LSAT and GRE)... advice please? thanks!
--Alana

Members don't see this ad.

there is one being offered at my school during the summer... i am planning on taking the DAT mid august (i know, rather late.. :() i usually study for things on my own, and hope that'll be enough... but i feel that my GPA is not very competitive, and I want to really do well... did anyone take the course? and if so, was it helpful? i've heard mixed reviews about Kaplan from other friends (who took exams such as the LSAT and GRE)... advice please? thanks!
--Alana

you should just do the online kaplan course, its cheaper and you get all the same materials as the ppl who take the class.

From my experience and, i have taken the kaplan course, if you dont have an overly amazing teacher then there is no reason to sit in on the lectures. If you are able to dedicate yourself for time to studying than you will be able to do it on your own.
Saving money in that aspect, i would recommend using all of kaplan for what they have and then getting other material. I would certainly consider getting the DAT Destroyer which is very helpful. Acheiver and Topscore are good sources as well. They will build your base and then the Destroyer will bring you to the next level. Good luck!

I agree, if anything take the online course, it will give you some practice exams so you can get the timing down!!!. Honestly I don't think the kaplan course helped me awhole lot, i felt the online resources were a lot more helpful, the actual lecture it sucked in my opinion. Remember it's just a review class, so they are going a 1000 miles an hour, some days I felt my head was going to explode. I would say do the kaplan online course, it will give you a start, but you must, and this is a big MUST, use other methods, because for what i hear the DAT is getting only harder, topscore helped me a lot on the bio, (specially ecology/taxonomy questions), achiever i just started doing , but it's a must also. I haven't done destroyer so I can't review it. Anyways don't panic and most importantly , please don't take the DAT unless you are very confotable with the material, if you gpa is low, a low dat score won't impress the admissions committe either, Lisen to the voice of experience!!!!ha ha ha ha good luck:D :D :D :D :D :D

I'm in the Kaplan class right now. If I had to do it over again, I would. Just as long as your teacher is half decent, the class is great.