Take the Mcats....or wait

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tragicallyhip'n

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So i took the second full lenght practice MCAT through Kaplan today...and scored a second depressing 27. With only 6 weeks to go, and only a 3.46 GPA, should i register for and take the april test, or spend the next year really working on getting a score well in to the thirties, jack the gpa up over a 3.5, and spend a year doing something cool? So more or less, am i wasting my time going through the whole application process with a sub 3.5 and quite possibly a sub 30 mcat?? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

apply to more osteopathic schools and less MD schools^ u'll definitely get into some DO programs if u score a 27...but who knows, maybe u'll get the 30!!! i heard kaplan is harder than the actual thing...dont stress out

If I were you, I'd take the April exam. It can't hurt to try! You may end up surprising yourself with your score. If you get your score and are unhappy, then start thinking about taking a year off and doing something great to make your application stronger. Good luck.

6 Weeks is plenty of time and you only took your 2nd full length. In the remaining time take MORE PRACTICE TESTS. I took kaplan and though the class was mediocre the practice material was invaluable. Take atleast one a week for the next 3 weeks then crank it up a notch and try to take 3 if you have the time. This is only your 2nd full length so you can still go up! PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE! Remember that during the week before the exam relax!

Members don't see this ad :)
tragicallyhip'n said:
So i took the second full lenght practice MCAT through Kaplan today...and scored a second depressing 27. With only 6 weeks to go, and only a 3.46 GPA, should i register for and take the april test, or spend the next year really working on getting a score well in to the thirties, jack the gpa up over a 3.5, and spend a year doing something cool? So more or less, am i wasting my time going through the whole application process with a sub 3.5 and quite possibly a sub 30 mcat?? Thanks.

If it's only the second test, don't count yourself out yet. It really makes a difference when you complete the course and refresh your memory on all the subjects. You kinda have to figure out how to translate MCATese.

I was about to ask the exact same question. I've taken 3 practice exams (AAMC) and I've gotten around 25-27 every time (27 in the last two...), and I feel like there's barely enough time left to study for the April exam.
I have a 3.64 GPA, and I'm very optimistic it will go up to a 3.7 this semester (I can definitely get a 4.0 right now), but I'm still worried about getting a <30 MCAT and stand a chance for allopathic schools. I'm also going to apply to ostheo, but there is only one ostheo school in Texas.
Granted, I am considered a URM (female, mexican-american) and have some other strong points in my favor (shadowing and clinical experience), but at the same time I have no research and no outstanding EC's (except the fact that I work part-time and some volunteering...).
What do you guys think....????
I'm kind of worried right now....

What are the EDP processes like at your state schools? At my state school (MCG) people get in with a 3.5+ GPA/27 MCAT through EDP....otherwise through regular admissions it would be much much tougher.