Take the shortened MCAT or wait and take the full length?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted1001544

Tentatively putting together a study plan for the MCAT. I was originally was looking at an August date until I saw they're shortening the format over the summer. I am worried that the different format is going to throw me off on test day. I am considering scheduling after they return to the long format so that it will be consistent with my practice materials. The argument against this is that school will have started by the point, hampering my ability to study. Any advice?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Tentatively putting together a study plan for the MCAT. I was originally was looking at an August date until I saw they're shortening the format over the summer. I am worried that the different format is going to throw me off on test day. I am considering scheduling after they return to the long format so that it will be consistent with my practice materials. The argument against this is that school will have started by the point, hampering my ability to study. Any advice?
Are you planning to apply for next cycle?

Based on what I read, the main differences are that for C/P, B/B, and P/S they're getting rid of the "dummy" questions that they don't score and for CARS one less passage. If you're been preparing for the test as if it's full-length, your score on the shortened version should not be different from what you would get from the original version.
That being said, it is truly up to you whether you want to apply this cycle or next cycle. IMO, unless you're dead-set about attending medical school next year, it wouldn't hurt taking another year (working, MCAT-prep, shadowing, and refining your medical school materials). I don't blame you if you feel uneasy about this application cycle, since it's very messy and affecting all of us in this forum.

Are you planning to apply for next cycle?
I've been on the fence about taking a gap year since before all this started. The plan was to at least have the MCAT out of the way so I have longer to make the decision. If I don't take a gap year I would apply next cycle.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've been on the fence about taking a gap year since before all this started. The plan was to at least have the MCAT out of the way so I have longer to make the decision. If I don't take a gap year I would apply next cycle.
Decide based on practice test scores than the length of the test.

Reactions: 1 users
Decide based on practice test scores than the length of the test.
This. If you have multiple practice tests in your goal score zone, then you should take the shortened test and get your number. Even if you end up taking a year, it is still better to take a shorter exam. If not, then you can just take the gap year and take the normal exam next year.

David D, MD - USMLE and MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors

Reactions: 1 users
I'm applying in the 2022 cycle, but I was trying to get my MCAT out of the way before school started back up. I have a full-time job during the academic year so it would be really difficult for me to balance both studying for my classes and the MCAT while working. Should I push off the MCAT until January? Or is it okay for me to take it in August if I see that my practice tests scores are where I want them to be? I've heard rumors about medical schools maybe viewing the scores of the shortened exam differently than that of the full length, so I'm worried about that too since I technically do have the time and option to push it back.

I'm applying in the 2022 cycle, but I was trying to get my MCAT out of the way before school started back up. I have a full-time job during the academic year so it would be really difficult for me to balance both studying for my classes and the MCAT while working. Should I push off the MCAT until January? Or is it okay for me to take it in August if I see that my practice tests scores are where I want them to be? I've heard rumors about medical schools maybe viewing the scores of the shortened exam differently than that of the full length, so I'm worried about that too since I technically do have the time and option to push it back.
have you taken all the required courses?

No, I'm having to self teach physics and biochem. I've taken physics in the past, but definitely not to the extent of this.
Then what's the rush? Take biochem and physics in fall and take MCAT in January.

No, I'm having to self teach physics and biochem. I've taken physics in the past, but definitely not to the extent of this.
Self-teaching biochemistry is possible but will be hard. I suggest taking biochem before taking the MCAT.