1. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

Take this test part 5:

Discussion in 'DAT Discussions' started by osimsDDS, Jun 18, 2008.

1. osimsDDS

Pre-Dental
    ill only put up 3 this time....last one was a little bit too lengthy

1) At the venule end of a capillary bed the hydrostatic pressure is...
    a) larger than the osmotic pressure
    b) smaller than the osmotic pressure
    c) the same as the osmotic pressure
    d) both a and b
    e) none of the above

2) After a child birth what happens in order for the foramen ovale to close?
    a) increased pressure in the right atrium compared to decreased pressure in the left ventricle
    b) increased pressure in the left atrium compared to decreased pressure in the right atrium
    c) decreased pressure in the right atrium compared to increased pressure in the left atrium
    d) increased pressure in the right ventricle compared to increased pressure in the left ventricle
    e) none of the above

3) Which innervates the viscera?
    a) phrenic nerve
    b) vagus nerve
    c) hypopheceal nerve
    d) visceral nerve
    e) sympathetic nervous system

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. harrygt

Pre-Dental
    I hope I remember the last one correctly from my anatomy class

4. DRHOYA

Pre-Dental
    d) both a and b
    e) none of the above

a) increased pressure in the right atrium compared to decreased pressure in the left ventricle
    b) increased pressure in the left atrium compared to decreased pressure in the right atrium
    c) decreased pressure in the right atrium compared to increased pressure in the left atrium (not exactly sure)
    d) increased pressure in the right ventricle compared to increased pressure in the left ventricle
    e) none of the above

a) phrenic nerve
    b) vagus nerve
    c) hypopheceal nerve
    d) visceral nerve
    e) sympathetic nervous system

I had difficultly with #2...I never knew it to that much detail.

5. DRHOYA

Pre-Dental
    Wait.....is it me or are B and C answer choices for question #2 the same thing just switched around??

6. wkawk2416

Dental Student
    d) both a and b
    e) none of the above

c) decreased pressure in the right atrium compared to increased pressure in the left atrium
    e) none of the above

a) phrenic nerve
    b) vagus nerve
    c) hypopheceal nerve
    d) visceral nerve
    e) sympathetic nervous system[/quote]

7. harrygt

Pre-Dental
    Hey, I just found that out too, before reading Droha's answer. Yeah, B and C look the same. Anyway, these are good questions. Can I know where you get them from?
    BTW, I'm waiting for test number 6 and 7

8. osimsDDS

Pre-Dental
    I make these up, it helps others and it helps me...when i think of questions like these it basically solidifies the info in my head...and helps others out in the process haha

9. Streetwolf

Streetwolf Ultra Senior Member
    Dentist

Dentist
    The sympathetic nervous system also innervates the viscera, just not exclusively. I would not include that as an answer choice if you are looking for VAGUS to be correct.

In fact, the vagus nerve innervates a few skeletal muscles as well. So both of these answers could be correct.

10. joshmonsta

Dental Student
    all b. Another excellent test Dr. Romano

11. osimsDDS

Pre-Dental
    Isnt it the parasympathetic that uses the vagus nerve to stimulate the viscera exclusively...

In any case the vagus nerve is the one that innervates the viscera...the parasympathetic or the sympathetic nervous system as you put it just uses the vagus nerve to innervate the viscera but vagus nerve stimulates the viscera...

12. Streetwolf

Streetwolf Ultra Senior Member
    Dentist

Dentist
    Viscera = organs and they have both parasymp and symp innervation (think about fight or flight - how are you going to shut down systems like GI and renal without symp stimulation to the gut and kidneys?). The viscera are almost 100% innervated by the vagus parasympathetically but T1-L2 are responsible for the sympathetic innervation to the viscera.

The vagus nerve is parasympathetic, not sympathetic (it is a cranial nerve). In addition to the various organs it innervates, it is also responsible for the innervation of a select few skeletal muscles.