1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

take undergrad anatomy?

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by ftown_trojan, Aug 8, 2006.

1. ftown_trojan

ftown_trojan Junior Member
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Hello,

This question is basically for those of you in dental school, and sorry if this question was answered somewhere else.

I just applied to dental school this summer, but because I am a postbacc, I just took general bio and ochem this past year. I wanted to know helpful it will be for dental school if I take anatomy this coming year. My issue is that my school is 1 hour away and I really don't want to drive that much for two more quarters, but if it is worth it for me to take anatomy I want to do it.

Thanks!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. WVUdental

WVUdental Membership Revoked
    Removed

it will help some, however, it will not compare to gross anatomy and the pure amount of detail involved in dental school

4. crazy_sherm

crazy_sherm å♪▼æ╬‼▄·
    Dentist 10+ Year Member

Dentist
    I think it helped for the first month or so, but then you quickly get into way greater detail than the undergrad class I took. Once you get to head and neck anatomy though, it's a whole other ballpark. It's up to you whether you want to drive so far just for a class. A lot of people in my class didn't take gross before and they did fine, just had to study a little harder at the beginning.

5. ftown_trojan

ftown_trojan Junior Member
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
  6. billermo

billermo Member
    5+ Year Member

I'm a first year and halfway through Gross. Next half is head and neck.

I took a year of anatomy and felt it helped a lot, especially for the cadaver ID practical.

At minimum, I suggest getting a good anatomy book and doing your own studying. Since it's anatomy, you can learn it yourself from a textbook. If you have the time, it will only help.