take undergrad anatomy?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ftown_trojan

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

This question is basically for those of you in dental school, and sorry if this question was answered somewhere else.

I just applied to dental school this summer, but because I am a postbacc, I just took general bio and ochem this past year. I wanted to know helpful it will be for dental school if I take anatomy this coming year. My issue is that my school is 1 hour away and I really don't want to drive that much for two more quarters, but if it is worth it for me to take anatomy I want to do it.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

ftown_trojan said:
Hello,

This question is basically for those of you in dental school, and sorry if this question was answered somewhere else.

I just applied to dental school this summer, but because I am a postbacc, I just took general bio and ochem this past year. I wanted to know helpful it will be for dental school if I take anatomy this coming year. My issue is that my school is 1 hour away and I really don't want to drive that much for two more quarters, but if it is worth it for me to take anatomy I want to do it.

Thanks!

it will help some, however, it will not compare to gross anatomy and the pure amount of detail involved in dental school

I think it helped for the first month or so, but then you quickly get into way greater detail than the undergrad class I took. Once you get to head and neck anatomy though, it's a whole other ballpark. It's up to you whether you want to drive so far just for a class. A lot of people in my class didn't take gross before and they did fine, just had to study a little harder at the beginning.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm a first year and halfway through Gross. Next half is head and neck.

I took a year of anatomy and felt it helped a lot, especially for the cadaver ID practical.

At minimum, I suggest getting a good anatomy book and doing your own studying. Since it's anatomy, you can learn it yourself from a textbook. If you have the time, it will only help.