Taking 11 credits???

Started by PM504
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

PM504

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm taking 15 credits right now but I'm doing bad in may Calc class which is 4 credit hours. If I drop down to 11 credits will the affect my financial aid for next year? Also will I have to pay them back something. I would rather drop then fail the class.
 
12 credits is the norm for being considered "full time." Dropping to below full time will have an effect on current loan deferment as well as some other consequences. I would talk to someone at your school for more specific information.
 
If this would indeed drop you below full time you could see if your school offers any mid-semester electives. I know some schools offer 1 hour PE classes that only last half a term (e.g. midterm-end of term).
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
If this would indeed drop you below full time you could see if your school offers any mid-semester electives. I know some schools offer 1 hour PE classes that only last half a term (e.g. midterm-end of term).

Yeah, most schools have ways to help you get around the full-time requirement. You will probably be able to find a 1 credit hour course that just lasts one weekend--all day Saturday and Sunday.
 
I dropped to 9 hours for fall my freshman year. Our school had a three strike policy so didnt affect me much.