Taking a Gap Year to Study for CBSE

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

William M Buttlicker

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I was wondering how bad it would look if someone were to take a year off after dental school to just study for the CBSE. I've seen a lot of threads mentioning that it would be very hard to manage a non-categorical intern year and studying for the CBSE. I am currently a D3 and took the CBSE once already, but my score was embarrassingly low. I still have about 2 more tries to take the CBSE before next summer, but I just wanted to know the worst case scenario if my score isn't competitive enough by then. I know that I probably have to do a non-categorical intern year anyway b/c my stats aren't great (3.48 GPA, only top 1/3 of class and no research).

Any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone,

I was wondering how bad it would look if someone were to take a year off after dental school to just study for the CBSE. I've seen a lot of threads mentioning that it would be very hard to manage a non-categorical intern year and studying for the CBSE. I am currently a D3 and took the CBSE once already, but my score was embarrassingly low. I still have about 2 more tries to take the CBSE before next summer, but I just wanted to know the worst case scenario if my score isn't competitive enough by then. I know that I probably have to do a non-categorical intern year anyway b/c my stats aren't great (3.48 GPA, only top 1/3 of class and no research).

Any thoughts?
It would be a bad look. You become more competitive by doing a non-cat year. If you can’t get a great score with your two tries left, I doubt another year would give you a major breakthrough. Do your best, then complete a non-cat year.

Reactions: 2 users
Hi everyone,

Any thoughts?

I guess you got to do what you got to do but I think it’s a bad option. You need to get your score and continue on with a non-cat or hopefully residency. Do let let yourself off the hook. Sounds like you need to learn a better way to study for the exam?

Members don't see this ad :)
Something to consider...if you're considering 6 year programs and are struggling to balance school/work/noncat year with taking a standardized exam, you will struggle with step 1, 2 and 3.

Aside from that, PDs will certainly ask you why you chose not to do a noncat year post grad, and you need to have a good answer besides "to study for the CBSE"

Reactions: 1 user
and you need to have a good answer besides "to study for the CBSE"
Especially when they have 400 applicants who were able to take it on top of other responsibilities.

Non-cat for sure.. PD wants to rank someone high who has already done a PGY-1 year over someone who hasnt dealt with a patient in a year and has a slightly higher CBSE score.

Reactions: 1 users
It would be a bad look. You become more competitive by doing a non-cat year. If you can’t get a great score with your two tries left, I doubt another year would give you a major breakthrough. Do your best, then complete a non-cat year.
can Internatinal students TAKE CBSE if they are planning to come to US and complete a DDS degree and then applying for a OMFS residency?