Taking a Gap Year to Study for CBSE

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

William M Buttlicker

New Member
2+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi everyone,

I was wondering how bad it would look if someone were to take a year off after dental school to just study for the CBSE. I've seen a lot of threads mentioning that it would be very hard to manage a non-categorical intern year and studying for the CBSE. I am currently a D3 and took the CBSE once already, but my score was embarrassingly low. I still have about 2 more tries to take the CBSE before next summer, but I just wanted to know the worst case scenario if my score isn't competitive enough by then. I know that I probably have to do a non-categorical intern year anyway b/c my stats aren't great (3.48 GPA, only top 1/3 of class and no research).

Any thoughts?
 
Hi everyone,

I was wondering how bad it would look if someone were to take a year off after dental school to just study for the CBSE. I've seen a lot of threads mentioning that it would be very hard to manage a non-categorical intern year and studying for the CBSE. I am currently a D3 and took the CBSE once already, but my score was embarrassingly low. I still have about 2 more tries to take the CBSE before next summer, but I just wanted to know the worst case scenario if my score isn't competitive enough by then. I know that I probably have to do a non-categorical intern year anyway b/c my stats aren't great (3.48 GPA, only top 1/3 of class and no research).

Any thoughts?
It would be a bad look. You become more competitive by doing a non-cat year. If you can’t get a great score with your two tries left, I doubt another year would give you a major breakthrough. Do your best, then complete a non-cat year.
 
Hi everyone,

I was wondering how bad it would look if someone were to take a year off after dental school to just study for the CBSE. I've seen a lot of threads mentioning that it would be very hard to manage a non-categorical intern year and studying for the CBSE. I am currently a D3 and took the CBSE once already, but my score was embarrassingly low. I still have about 2 more tries to take the CBSE before next summer, but I just wanted to know the worst case scenario if my score isn't competitive enough by then. I know that I probably have to do a non-categorical intern year anyway b/c my stats aren't great (3.48 GPA, only top 1/3 of class and no research).

Any thoughts?

I guess you got to do what you got to do but I think it’s a bad option. You need to get your score and continue on with a non-cat or hopefully residency. Do let let yourself off the hook. Sounds like you need to learn a better way to study for the exam?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Something to consider...if you're considering 6 year programs and are struggling to balance school/work/noncat year with taking a standardized exam, you will struggle with step 1, 2 and 3.

Aside from that, PDs will certainly ask you why you chose not to do a noncat year post grad, and you need to have a good answer besides "to study for the CBSE"
 
It would be a bad look. You become more competitive by doing a non-cat year. If you can’t get a great score with your two tries left, I doubt another year would give you a major breakthrough. Do your best, then complete a non-cat year.
can Internatinal students TAKE CBSE if they are planning to come to US and complete a DDS degree and then applying for a OMFS residency?
 
can Internatinal students TAKE CBSE if they are planning to come to US and complete a DDS degree and then applying for a OMFS residency?
Get into a dental school first, then you can take the CBSE.