Taking a semester break for work.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

SojuCupsss

New Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey all,

I was wondering if taking a semester off to work full time (EMT and Scribe) before finishing up a minor would be detrimental for my application.

I will be applying in Spring 2018 and finished my molecular bio degree in Spring 2017, but still need to take 2 courses to finish my minor. I was planning on taking these two courses in the Fall of 2017, but couldn't enroll into any of the minor-approved courses that were outside of my work schedule.

I am currently leaning towards working FT this semester and then finishing the minor next semester while continuing to work part time. All other pre-med pre-req's (MCAT, LoR's, research, etc.) have been finished. My primary concern stems from the fact that I would be a "5th year senior" during this process. Lmk what y'all think. Thanks.
 
Detrimental is a bad word. In my opinion, it isn't going to hurt your application unless you do absolutely nothing to better yourself. I worked as a FT EMT-B for almost two years and gained invaluable experience and perspective (granted I will be a second time applicant due to my MCAT/GPA). If I could do it all again, I would still take a gap year after 5 in undergrad to work as a Basic.