SojuCupsss

2+ Year Member
Jun 1, 2017
Hey all,

I was wondering if taking a semester off to work full time (EMT and Scribe) before finishing up a minor would be detrimental for my application.

I will be applying in Spring 2018 and finished my molecular bio degree in Spring 2017, but still need to take 2 courses to finish my minor. I was planning on taking these two courses in the Fall of 2017, but couldn't enroll into any of the minor-approved courses that were outside of my work schedule.

I am currently leaning towards working FT this semester and then finishing the minor next semester while continuing to work part time. All other pre-med pre-req's (MCAT, LoR's, research, etc.) have been finished. My primary concern stems from the fact that I would be a "5th year senior" during this process. Lmk what y'all think. Thanks.

byrdhouse

2+ Year Member
Feb 21, 2017
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Detrimental is a bad word. In my opinion, it isn't going to hurt your application unless you do absolutely nothing to better yourself. I worked as a FT EMT-B for almost two years and gained invaluable experience and perspective (granted I will be a second time applicant due to my MCAT/GPA). If I could do it all again, I would still take a gap year after 5 in undergrad to work as a Basic.

Reactions: 1 user
About the Ads
This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.