Taking a semester break for work.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SojuCupsss

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I was wondering if taking a semester off to work full time (EMT and Scribe) before finishing up a minor would be detrimental for my application.

I will be applying in Spring 2018 and finished my molecular bio degree in Spring 2017, but still need to take 2 courses to finish my minor. I was planning on taking these two courses in the Fall of 2017, but couldn't enroll into any of the minor-approved courses that were outside of my work schedule.

I am currently leaning towards working FT this semester and then finishing the minor next semester while continuing to work part time. All other pre-med pre-req's (MCAT, LoR's, research, etc.) have been finished. My primary concern stems from the fact that I would be a "5th year senior" during this process. Lmk what y'all think. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Detrimental is a bad word. In my opinion, it isn't going to hurt your application unless you do absolutely nothing to better yourself. I worked as a FT EMT-B for almost two years and gained invaluable experience and perspective (granted I will be a second time applicant due to my MCAT/GPA). If I could do it all again, I would still take a gap year after 5 in undergrad to work as a Basic.

Reactions: 1 user