Taking a semester off before pharmacy school to work?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

PharmBenzene

New Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey guys,

I was wondering if it would be a good idea to take second semester off from college and work from December 2015 until August 2016 when I will attend Pharmacy School. I work as a CNA in a nursing home and can make some good money due to the fact I can pick up as many OT hours as I want.

I'm not sure if I should do this because I am already accepted into Pharmacy School and don't have any pre-requisites to finish. I think it might be good to earn about $20-25K before I start pharmacy school to cut down on the loans.
 
Hey guys,

I was wondering if it would be a good idea to take second semester off from college and work from December 2015 until August 2016 when I will attend Pharmacy School. I work as a CNA in a nursing home and can make some good money due to the fact I can pick up as many OT hours as I want.

I'm not sure if I should do this because I am already accepted into Pharmacy School and don't have any pre-requisites to finish. I think it might be good to earn about $20-25K before I start pharmacy school to cut down on the loans.
It's a good idea to do it! Since you don't have any more prerequisites that you need to take. You can save some money too and don't have to live on a tight budget.
 
Yeah, why not? If you have nothing to do in those 6 months anyway. Unless you needed to finish non-pre reqs to get a degree OR your pharmacy school expected you to take classes in that period of time.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I would contact the school to be sure because every acceptance is a contingent and they might expect you to get a degree. It really depends on the school. Otherwise I think that's a great idea.
 
Most pharmacy programs don't really allow for spring starts. Odds are you'll end up needing to take classes that aren't offered, or have only one section available at some point.
 
Yeah, many pharmacy classes are 2 semesters, if you are going to take off 1 semester, you might as well take off 2 semesters, because you will be a semester behind anyway.
 
Are you supposed to be finishing a degree this spring? Or were you not expecting to complete one? I would check with the school that you have been accepted to and see if they're okay with it. As someone said earlier, your acceptance is contingent on the completion of any degree/courses that you stated you would be taking spring semester on pharmcas
 
Sounds like a great idea! I'm all for gaining experiences. Working in a pharmacy would have been better but money-wise this is good to. I probably would have worked as a tech my spring semester had I interviewed and got accepted earlier :cigar: .