Taking a semester off

Started by RawR
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

RawR

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am taking a semester off before medical school. My loans are currently in the 6 month grace period. From one lender, I have a subsidized loan and an unsubsidized loan. From another, I have one subsidized loan. They total out to be about $9k.

Would they be worth consolidating now and filling out one deferment request form for it? Otherwise, I would need to send a deferment request to each lender (which isn't a big deal). Or maybe, I could pay the unsub loan with leftover medical school loan money since its grace period will have been used up.

I don't know what the best course of action is. What would you do?