Taking a W in a graduate course and residency matching

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

exmike

NOR * CAL
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know that some match processes ask for your graduate transcripts. I am contemplating taking a W in a class this semester in a grad course (biostats) b/c I've taking the class already in another grad program but my current program wont let me place out of it. I'd rather not retake a class I spent two years studying in public health school. Do you think that W will be frowned upon? My grad grades in this program are good otherwise. Or should I suck it up and just take the class?

Members don't see this ad.

Are you talking about taking a graduate school class during med school, or as part of another degree? If you're taking it during med school, it will certainly show up on your transcript. If you're taking it before med school as part of a nother degree, I'm not sure if ERAS or individual residency programs ask for transcripts from previous degree programs.

Some of the more competitive programs will ask for your undergrad and graduate transcripts, but in general, most don't.

If we're talking about THIS semester (which will be over in a few weeks, right?) why not suck it up and just finish? Then you won't have to worry...and it will get you used to sucking it up for the next several years to come! :D

Fermi said:
Are you talking about taking a graduate school class during med school, or as part of another degree? If you're taking it during med school, it will certainly show up on your transcript. If you're taking it before med school as part of a nother degree, I'm not sure if ERAS or individual residency programs ask for transcripts from previous degree programs.

NRMP/ERAS don't require Graduate transcripts? I completed a masters degree prior to starting medical school and it will certainly make the process a lot easier if I don't have to try and collect old transcripts for residency application.

I was never asked to provide a transcript or comment on my graduate school grades during the application process or interviews. I can't say that this applies to all programs. If you are intent on the 'W' they will probably not ever see it. Good luck!