Taking a W

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

smile matters

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just withdrew from a class thinking that I would end up failing that class or getting a D or a C. My GPA is already too low and I didn't want to ruin it more. Was taking a W a good decision?
I went from 13 credits to 11 but apparenlty they said I would still be considered full-time. I am not so sure about that tho. If I was a part-time, would that stop me from applying to schools this cycle?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Better to take the W than the L!!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Taking a W is better than getting a D or and F b/c W does not count towards your GPA. However, you should be prepared to explain why you got the W if asked during the interview. Better have some legit reason.

I took a W the first time I took anatomy when I was looking at a C, then got an A next semester. Wasn't a big deal, I even talked to the faculty person at my interview about it.

I am not planning on re-taking this one but taking another lab instead but it isn't a prereq or anything. It's just a upper level bio lab.

taking a couple Ws isn't a big deal at all. i got Ws and i got into dental school; you can too! easy peasy!

joking about the last part. it's not easy lol

Take the "W" and take with an "A".

Sent from my iPhone 9

Reactions: 1 users
I took a W during my senior year and none of the schools that interviewed me asked about it. I'd take a W over a B- even, tbh

I was also "part time" for 2 semesters for dropping my B-/C+ classes before the deadline and I still got 2 out of 4 acceptances. Again, no school asked me about my self-inflicted part-time status.

Dental school administrators focus so much on GPA GPA GPA GPA DAT DAT that you gotta do whatever it takes to get 3.5+ GPA, no excuses :dead:

Reactions: 1 users
Thank you everyone! I was scared because I heard that some schools calculate W as an F. My GPA is on the lower side so I didn't want to take any risks.

Thank you everyone! I was scared because I heard that some schools calculate W as an F. My GPA is on the lower side so I didn't want to take any risks.

You're fine. :)

If you have any more questions about this process, feel free to message me.