taking a year off

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Darch

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
so I'm taking a year off before medical school and I thought that it would be really easy to decide where to go or what to do, but now I'm completely overwhelmed by all of the volunteer programs/working abroad programs.

Anyone have any great programs/experiences that they would like to share from their year off?

If you taught english abroad or volunteered, did you enjoy it?

one last question, has anyone participated in americorps or any other national programs and if so, was it hard to take time off for interviews?

any info would be greatly appreciated...thanks!! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Darch said:
so I'm taking a year off before medical school and I thought that it would be really easy to decide where to go or what to do, but now I'm completely overwhelmed by all of the volunteer programs/working abroad programs.

Anyone have any great programs/experiences that they would like to share from their year off?

If you taught english abroad or volunteered, did you enjoy it?

one last question, has anyone participated in americorps or any other national programs and if so, was it hard to take time off for interviews?

any info would be greatly appreciated...thanks!! :)

I would suggest clinical research. During my year off I needed to make money. Clinical research allowed me to both make money, and show schools that I knew what I was getting into by actually working in a hospital.

If you can get a position. You have to do a lot of hunting, and do it in your last year of undergrad/grad/whatever. I had real trouble finding a good clinical research position, mainly because they all figured I would only be working for a year anyway, and they wanted me doing silly things like entering in data, etc. Cheap labor is all I was to them. :(

Members don't see this ad :)
I will be taking next year off. I was considering EMT or possibly a research position (I have undergraduate experience). I would appreciate any hot ideas as well. :thumbup:

Kinda sad, because if I had a year off (one more year off), I would want to spend it doing non-medical stuff-- but I think that would hurt my application.

What would I do? Move out of the country again, but this time I'd spend my time reading for pleasure and working in a good retail clothing store-- to build a good wardrobe and spend time with ordinary people. :) Every job and nearly every experience I've had in the past many years was related to my medical ambitions. It would be refreshing to sit back and learn something different. (And I think there's much to learn from others-- whether they be wise authors or average joes in the mall).

So, I'm not necessarily suggesting that you go work in the mall, but I would like to!

If you are interested in community service, there is an organization called CityYear that organizes one year service program. Americorps is another option. Americorps is a good program because it gives you a $4700 educational grant that you could use toward paying off student loans or paying for medical school.

Hope this helps,
sweetdoc

PS - Teach for America is an option if you are interested in taking two years off. If you have any questions about that let me know.

If you want to make some extra cash, find a job....whether it be research or not. The experience is definitely something that wil affect you. If you don't want to make money, go travel.

I am currently taking a year off and I am doing AmeriCorps. There are ALOT of AmeriCorps programs out there and you just have to search for them. It does not necessarily mean that you have to pack your bags and move to a different place for a whole year. I found an AmeriCorps program in the city that I live in and I go to work everyday (full-time) and it only takes me 10 mins. It is technically a volunteer position, but you do get a small living allowance and an educational grant at the end of your term. It is something to look into if you want to do something non-medical for a year. I chose to do it because I figured that I would be doing medicine for the rest of my life, and everything that I have done until now has been somewhat medically related. So instead, I just wanted to do something different, but still be in a position to help others and get some volunteering experiences.

Gracey103 said:
I am currently taking a year off and I am doing AmeriCorps. There are ALOT of AmeriCorps programs out there and you just have to search for them. It does not necessarily mean that you have to pack your bags and move to a different place for a whole year. I found an AmeriCorps program in the city that I live in and I go to work everyday (full-time) and it only takes me 10 mins. It is technically a volunteer position, but you do get a small living allowance and an educational grant at the end of your term. It is something to look into if you want to do something non-medical for a year. I chose to do it because I figured that I would be doing medicine for the rest of my life, and everything that I have done until now has been somewhat medically related. So instead, I just wanted to do something different, but still be in a position to help others and get some volunteering experiences.

thanks so much for responding everyone!

are you applying to med school while doing the program? I was looking into the americorps nccc but I did not know if they would allow you to take days off to go interview...if i could still do the app process and do the program that would be great!! :)