Taking a year off...

Started by qablue
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

qablue

New Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
What are the pro's and con's of taking a year off between undergraduate education and optometry school? I'm thinking about taking a year off to study for the OAT and gain more optometry-related experiences (i.e. work, do research, volunteer).

In truth, I would rather go straight to optometry after graduation, but I don't think I would be competitive enough if I apply early senior year. Applying early senior year (fall 2008) means that I would have to rush through the pre-reqs, OAT prep, and applications.
 
I took time off, and I am glad that I did. I highly recommend it, especially if you are unsure about optometry, or would like to gain more experience.

I graduated in 2005, and I will be starting this coming Fall of 2007. I basically took TWO years off and I feel that it did not hurt me in the application process at all.

Taking time off can be a rewarding experience, as long as you use it well.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I too graduated in 2005 and will be entering this fall 2007. My application process was not affected at all either, i was accepted to 3/4 schools I applied to. I used those 2 years to gain experience and of course, make money (using my bio degree) and bought some nicer things to spoil myself. I did remain in the eyecare field, a lasik center to be exact, and I pretty much have a lot more background info on different paths for optometrists and eye-related problems. Most importantly, i feel RELAXED and ready to endure 4 years of stress and anxiety.
 
I also took a year off after graduation. I will be going to Optometry school this fall and am really glad I took the year off. Initially I felt that I might be wasting an extra year but now that I look back, a year off was certainly not a waste because I enjoyed my year and did fun things. I volunteered alot and got a good job to make some extra money (for Optometry school in fact!). New friendships were also created from the various things I got involved in and I know these friendships will last for the rest of my life. I'll also be doing a bit of travelling this summer before I head back to school in the fall. Like the previous poster I also feel relaxed and ready to hit the books again.

If I had gone to Optometry school right after I graduated I would have been done by the time I was 25. Now I will be graduating when I am 26, and for me personally that isn't a huge difference. I think as long as you doing things you enjoy during your year off it shouldn't feel like a waste of a year. I have no regrets in taking my year off because I did things I won't get a chance to do after I graduate Optometry school.