1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Taking algebra physics after calculus based physics?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by bjt223, Sep 5, 2014.

1. bjt223

5+ Year Member

Should I take an algebra based physics after I took calculus based physics. I pass calculus based physics 5 years ago and got a C's at a community college. Now I am at an university, I was able to register myself on algebra based physics. Would medical school count both physics or the one with the higher scores?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. itsthat1guy

itsthat1guy Not that other guy
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    You send AMCAS all of your transcript so I believe both would be factored into your GPAs

bjt223 likes this.
  4. BuckyBadger!

Medical Student (Accepted)
    Yep, AMCAS will factor in everything. Why are you taking it again? Personal interest? Study it more before the MCAT? Trying to show improvement in physics?

bjt223 likes this.
  5. kraskadva

kraskadva ...
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Take the algebra based. It will help you more for the MCAT than the calculus based anyway.
    AMCAS will factor both into your gpa calculations. Though a strong improvement in grades between your UG and your post-bacc will be looked on favorably.

bjt223 likes this.
  6. bjt223

5+ Year Member

Thank you. I am just taking the classes to prepare for MCAT and plus raised my previous grade.

7. Fidget

Pre-Medical
    I would go with calculus based if you really want to learn your stuff. Most of the problem sets will still rely on algebraic solutions, but they will be harder and especially in mechanics, you will become an algebraic manipulation master if you really work at it.

Just my 2 cents... I took mechanics and E&M and scored an 11 on MCAT PS. My strategy is to get really good at the hard stuff, so that the more basic stuff (MCAT physics) comes easier.