Taking all/most pre-reqs at cc? Then open university at a local CSU?

Started by kaya123
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

kaya123

New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi everyone, I'm currently at a UC right now and I'll be graduating in a year. I plan to crash a Chem 1A course this fall and if I'm able to get in, I'm gonna try to finish the general and organic chemistry series before I graduate, then finish taking the rest of the prereqs at a cc. If not, then I plan to take all my prereqs at cc, then I plan to go to "open university" at a local CSU to take some upper division science courses.

The reason why I plan to go to cc is because it's a lot cheaper, I'm a single (co)parent, and rent is a lot more affordable in the area my family lives in (plus, I'll have familial support). I can't afford a postbacc at SFSU or CSU East Bay with rent also being very expensive. Will this be seen as a red flag by medical/PA school?
 
No, especially for a non-trad student. They know most have circumstances like this. Just be aware they do tend to view Cc courses more skeptically as they are perceived as being easy, so if they see a bunch of B's and C's at the cc level adcoms will think you can't handle the rigors of med school.
But you should go to PA school 😝