Taking another year? Retaking classes?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dvmcatdog

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello :)

I wanted to get some advice on what you guys think about my situation. I was supposed to apply to vet school this year but I still haven't taken the GRE, gotten large animal experience and I'm taking too many classes each semester(taking 7 currently). I decided to apply next May instead to get more time to build my application and take the GRE. I wanted to ask if I should use this time to maybe retake some classes I did poorly in? I got a C in chem 1 + 2, calculus & physics 1. Or if I should just focus on the higher level classes I'm going to take like mo cell, and bio chem and try to do well in them. I wasn't sure if I should retake chem 1 + 2 because I got a B in orgo 1 and am on track for a A or B for orgo 2 which shows some improvement. My GPA isn't great 3.1 and I'm not sure of my science GPA but I'm sure it's not great either. How many classes do you recommend I take each semester to be competitive? I'm not working but I'm volunteering and shadowing quite often. Also, is it bad to take filler classes? I'm taking a bunch of non related classes such as neuroscience and leadership just because they are classes I am interested in them. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

If you post your stats in the "What are my chances thread?" you'll prob get the most help:)

You could retake Chem 1 /2 to help boost your GPA...I would look at the schools you are interested in and how they factor in retakes into the GPA. Some schools replace, some schools average the to grades. Ultimately, I think doing well in upper level science classes is probably the best route in a lot of cases. Whatever you do, get A's and don't take too many credits that you overload yourself. Remember that most schools look at a combination of cumulative GPA, science GPA, and last 45 GPA!

If you post your stats in the "What are my chances thread?" you'll prob get the most help:)

You could retake Chem 1 /2 to help boost your GPA...I would look at the schools you are interested in and how they factor in retakes into the GPA. Some schools replace, some schools average the to grades. Ultimately, I think doing well in upper level science classes is probably the best route in a lot of cases. Whatever you do, get A's and don't take too many credits that you overload yourself. Remember that most schools look at a combination of cumulative GPA, science GPA, and last 45 GPA!
Thank you for your reply! I found a thread naming most schools who either grade replace or average. I haven't seen anything about midwestern though. Do you know about them by any chance?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for your reply! I found a thread naming most schools who either grade replace or average. I haven't seen anything about midwestern though. Do you know about them by any chance?
If I remember correctly from when I applied, Midwestern does average grades for retakes.

Sooo, I was currently all ready to sign up for Chem 1 & 2 again this summer and fall but now I'm not so sure. I really don't want to waste my time and money (I would have to pay out of state for the classes). I would prefer to just take my upper levels like cell bio, biochem & physio but I'm just worried I won't get A's. How do you guys study for classes like these? I'm not one of those people who can study the day before and get an A. I need more time spread out between days. Do you think I should focus on my study habits and do better in upper levels instead of retaking the chem series? Thank you

Sooo, I was currently all ready to sign up for Chem 1 & 2 again this summer and fall but now I'm not so sure. I really don't want to waste my time and money (I would have to pay out of state for the classes). I would prefer to just take my upper levels like cell bio, biochem & physio but I'm just worried I won't get A's. How do you guys study for classes like these? I'm not one of those people who can study the day before and get an A. I need more time spread out between days. Do you think I should focus on my study habits and do better in upper levels instead of retaking the chem series? Thank you
I wouldn't consider retaking anything until you're completely done with your degree and get rejected, but that's just my opinion. You can also retake those courses at a local community college to save money if you choose to retake them.

Reactions: 1 user
I wouldn't consider retaking anything until you're completely done with your degree and get rejected, but that's just my opinion. You can also retake those courses at a local community college to save money if you choose to retake them.
I already took them at my CC and they won't let me retake since I got a C. Only my university will allow me to do so.

I already took them at my CC and they won't let me retake since I got a C. Only my university will allow me to do so.
Either way, there's no real reason to jump the gun and put your degree on hold to repeat classes you've passed. I got in with 4 C+'s in pre-reqs, so it's not impossible. You just have to really do well in the remaining pre-reqs and other courses you have to try and make up for it. If you end up with more C's, you can reevaluate then....but I personally wouldn't retake them now.

Reactions: 2 users
Either way, there's no real reason to jump the gun and put your degree on hold to repeat classes you've passed. I got in with 4 C+'s in pre-reqs, so it's not impossible. You just have to really do well in the remaining pre-reqs and other courses you have to try and make up for it. If you end up with more C's, you can reevaluate then....but I personally wouldn't retake them now.

While I understand where your advice is coming from, we don't really know the rest of her application (or maybe you do and I haven't checked WAMC thread, haha) as it compares to yours. It may be otherwise stellar and some Cs in pre-reqs won't be a big deal, but if there is a lot more she needs to improve upon, I think it's worth considering, certainly.

Reactions: 1 user
While I understand where your advice is coming from, we don't really know the rest of her application (or maybe you do and I haven't checked WAMC thread, haha) as it compares to yours. It may be otherwise stellar and some Cs in pre-reqs won't be a big deal, but if there is a lot more she needs to improve upon, I think it's worth considering, certainly.
Yeah, OP has actually started many threads about her application, including one where she asked this exact question now that I think about it. Switching to business major?