Taking calc and English during application year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

PsychStudent

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
By the time I apply I will have taken all of my premed classes except calc and English. My undergrad university did not have an English requirement so I only took one semester (also had AP credit, but I don't believe that counts). Anyway, if I tell the schools that I am taking these classes during my application year, is this sufficient to fulfill this requirement? I will actually take the classes, of course.

I know that many schools do not require calc, but a few I really want to apply to do and do not accept stats (I have four stats classes, oh well). Thanks!!
 
As with all things of this nature, it's best to check with the schools in which you intend to apply that have these requirements on their individual policy. However, in general, it has been my impression that it's okay as long as you finish these classes before matriculation.
 
By the time I apply I will have taken all of my premed classes except calc and English. My undergrad university did not have an English requirement so I only took one semester (also had AP credit, but I don't believe that counts). Anyway, if I tell the schools that I am taking these classes during my application year, is this sufficient to fulfill this requirement? I will actually take the classes, of course.

I know that many schools do not require calc, but a few I really want to apply to do and do not accept stats (I have four stats classes, oh well). Thanks!!


For most schools, the specific class requirements must be completed before matriculation. Taking some classes to fulfill these requirements during the application year is fairly common. On the AMCAS application, there is a place to input classes that you have taken and classes that you will take. During the application year you can update schools with your new grades.