1. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

taking classes after graduating

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by runstorm, Jan 6, 2009.

1. runstorm

runstorm Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    Hey! I'm graduating this spring and will also be applying to dental school after I graduate. Is it possible that I can retake some of the classes that I got a C in undergraduate or do I only have the option of just doing a master's program. Thanks!

2. lhtran07

2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    I'm assuming you want to retake to raise your GPA. Not sure how AADSAS calculates it, but I think they combine the grades when calculating so you might want to check that out first.

If you already have your BS, it wouldn't hurt to do a 1-yr/non-thesis master's or post-bac program.

3. runstorm

runstorm Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

Yea I was thinking of doing that but I was looking at the deadlines and they are Jan. 15th and I don't have enough time to apply by then so I was thinking of just taking some classes after I graduate to raise my GPA...

4. Mamona

5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    If I remember correctly, after you send your application in May (the earliest you can send it) you are not available to make any changes, unitil late November or December (I just went through the process and I don't remember...). By that time, if you make everything early, your application have been review and interviews offer. So taking classes to improve your GPA will be just in case you don't hear from school by December 1st... AADSAS takes all your classes and average them so if you got a C and take the class again and get an A your GPA will move just slightly, I don't think is that worth it!!!

Good Luck

5. runstorm

runstorm Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

Thanks for the replies! Yea I was just going to either take some classes over or take some more upper level classes so that I will have something to do while I'm waiting to see if I will get in or not.. Plus I was thinking maybe it will look good that I'm still in school instead of just taking a year off. Thanks again!

6. runstorm

runstorm Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

Does anyone else have any advice!! Please!!

7. lhtran07

2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    I'd say if you're wanting to take classes, then to do more upper level science classes instead because retaking classes that you made c's in won't move your GPA by much. If you're really worried about your GPA the best thing to do is a post-bac next yr and focus on making a 4.0 through that....it seems to be the redeeming factor for applicants with ~3.0 or lower GPA's.

What's your GPA by the way? If your GPA isn't that low, you might be better off just taking the time to study for the DAT and shadowing. That way you can send in your application as soon as possible.

8. runstorm

runstorm Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

Thanks. My GPA is a 3.0.. I was going to take upper level classes just in case if I didn't get in next round so that my GPA might increase and so they can see that I was still in school during the cycle...