Taking classes at CC AND 4-year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doankeyhotay

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys! This is my first post so please forgive me if this has been posted elsewhere. I've been on sdn for quite some time just scoping things out and I havent found the right answer to my question. I recently graduated this past June and my BCPM gpa isn't too hot. I've taken all of the pre-reqs that and now I can either re-take some classes or take some more upper div classes. I' was thinking of retaking some classes but I've called a few adcoms and they told me that I shouldnt take any retakes but rather take more upper div bio classes. And here's what I'm confused about...can I be able to take some classes at a cc say...human anatomy as well as take a class at a state university. The only reason why I would do such a thing is that my state university has this thing where you can cross-enroll with the local college and you pay it a lot less than if you were to just take it w/o the cc. Should I consider re-taking some of the C's over? If so, if they were offered at a CC, could I be able to take it there?

P.S. Sorry I'm all over the place!! I have so many questions that it just all came out. I only considered taking the route via CC b/c of finances and to hear that I should only take classes at a 4 year saddens me. :(

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys! This is my first post so please forgive me if this has been posted elsewhere. I've been on sdn for quite some time just scoping things out and I havent found the right answer to my question. I recently graduated this past June and my BCPM gpa isn't too hot. I've taken all of the pre-reqs that and now I can either re-take some classes or take some more upper div classes. I' was thinking of retaking some classes but I've called a few adcoms and they told me that I shouldnt take any retakes but rather take more upper div bio classes. And here's what I'm confused about...can I be able to take some classes at a cc say...human anatomy as well as take a class at a state university. The only reason why I would do such a thing is that my state university has this thing where you can cross-enroll with the local college and you pay it a lot less than if you were to just take it w/o the cc. Should I consider re-taking some of the C's over? If so, if they were offered at a CC, could I be able to take it there?

P.S. Sorry I'm all over the place!! I have so many questions that it just all came out. I only considered taking the route via CC b/c of finances and to hear that I should only take classes at a 4 year saddens me. :(

Listen to the adcoms.

CC is OK...4 year uni is preferable, but not absolutely required, but the real question will be: just how many upper level sci classes will be available at a 2 year college anyway?

Also - who is going to write your LORs? Sounds like you stunk up UG sci classes a bit, so you need to figure out who will write your letters...a PhD professor from a 4 year uni is better than a non-PhD lecturer at a 2 year...etc.

I don't knock on community colleges (the one I went to for a while was more difficult than the four year I transferred to, at least in my opinion), but if you're going to retake classes from the four year university, I wouldn't do it at the cc. If you do better, you'll be harder pressed to use it to prove that you actually learned the material this time around rather than just went to a school with lower standards.